Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 12th March 2020
1. World Health Organization declares Covid-19 as a pandemic
- World Health Organization (WHO) has characterized the new coronavirus outbreak as a pandemic, WHO chief TedrosAdhanomGhebreyesus told reporters pointing to the over 118,000 cases of the coronavirus illness in over 110 countries and territories around the world and the sustained risk of further global spread.
- An epidemic refers to an uptick in the spread of a disease within a specific community.The declaration refers to the spread of a disease, rather than the severity of the illness it causes.
- UN chief Antonio Guterres has urged world governments to urgently scale up their response to the novel coronavirus if they are to stand a chance of stemming its spread.
- In a statement, UN Secretary General said, the declaration of coronavirus outbreak as a pandemic is a call to action – for everyone, everywhere. He called on every government to step up and scale up their efforts now.
- SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is thought to have first jumped from an animal host to humans in Wuhan, China.Cases have now been confirmed on every continent except Antarctica, and secondary disease hotspots have emerged in places such as South Korea, Italy and Iran.
GKToday For SSC Exams
WHO – Formation: 7 April 1948; Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland;
2. SBI cuts fixed deposit rates, lending rates
- Country’s largest lender, State Bank of India (SBI) it has reduced its fixed deposit rates for certain tenors and marginal cost of funds-based lending rates (MCLR) across various tenors.
- Making it a second reduction in a month and the tenth cut in the current fiscal year, the public sector bank has reduced retail term deposits (less than Rs 2 crore) by 10 to 50 basis points for a few tenors.
- Fixed deposits (FDs) maturing between 7 days to 45 days will offer an interest rate of 4 per cent as against 4.50 per cent earlier.
- The bank has cut its one-year MCLR to 8 per cent from 8.10 per cent.
- The bank said the new rates for home loans and fixed deposits will take effect from March 10.
Daily Current Affairs for SBI CLERK Exams
SBI – Founded: 1806 as Bank of Calcutta; Renamed in 1840 as Bank of Bombay; In 1843 as Bank of Madras; in 1921 as Imperial Bank of India and finally renamed as State Bank of India in 1955;
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra; Chairman:Rajnish Kumar.
3. Delimitation Commission for J-K, 4 Northeast states notified
- The Centre notified the setting up of a Delimitation Commission headed by Justice (Retd) Ranjana Prakash Desai to redraw the boundaries of Parliament and Assembly seats in the newly constituted union territory of Jammu and Kashmir as well as states of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur and Nagaland.
- The Jammu and Kashmir Reorganization Act, 2019 provides for increasing the number of Assembly seats in Jammu and Kashmir by seven after a delimitation process.
- Election commissioner Sushil Chandra and state election commissioners of J&K and the four states will be the ex officio members.
- The Act has earmarked a total of 107 seats for the whole of the union territory of Jammu and Kashmir, including areas in Pakistan-Occupied-Kashmir (PoK).
4. WasimJaffer announces retirement from all formats of cricket
- The legendary batsman of the Indian team, WasimJaffer, announced his retirement from all formats of cricket recently.
- He is known as the Sachin Tendulkar of domestic cricket.
- He held the record for the most matches played as well as the highest run-scorer in the Ranji Trophy.
- He has represented the Indian team in a total of 31 Tests till 2008, scoring 1944 runs at an average of 34.10, including 5 centuries and 11 half-centuries.
- He has played first-class cricket for nearly 24 years from 1996 to 2020.
5. Andhra Pradesh CM launches ‘NIGHA’ app to ensure ‘clean’ poll
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy launched ‘NIGHA’ app that aims to ensure ‘clean and healthy’ elections and for curbing the use of money and alcohol in the ensuing Local Body Poll.
- Anyone can download the NIGHA app on their smart phones. Photos and videos of the distribution of money and alcohol and any other activity that violates Model Code of Conduct (MCC) can be registered by this app.
- All the complaints registered by this app will automatically be routed to the Central Control room and the information will be shared with the concerned officials.
GKToday for SBI PO Exams
ANDHRA PRADESH – Capital: Amaravati; Governor: BiswabhusanHarichandan;
Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy; Folk Dance:Kuchipudi.
6. HAL planning to set up bases in four countries to push exports
- State-run aerospace behemoth Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) is looking at setting up logistics bases in Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia and Sri Lanka.
- These bases will be set up as part of initiatives to woo the countries to buy India’s light combat aircraft Tejas and military helicopters.
- HAL is considering building logistics bases in the four countries as they use a number of Russian-origin military aircraft and choppers whose serviceability is “very poor”.
- Last month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has set an ambitious defence export target of USD 5 billion dollars in the next five years and asked all the key military manufacturers to work hard to achieve the target.
Daily Current Affairs for SBI PO Exams
HAL – Founded: 1940 as Hindustan Aircraft and was renamed Hindustan Aeronautics in 1964;
Headquarters:Bengaluru, Karnataka; Chairman and MD: R Madhavan.
Learn complete GKToday Here for last 2 years at.
Learn General Knowledge for 9th March 2020.
Learn General Knowledge for 8th March 2020.
Get online classes for IBSP , SBI PO and CLER , SSC CGL , SSC CHSL and other competitive exams at Takshila Learning.