Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 13 Feb 2021 : GKToday Updates
1. Mallikarjun Kharge named leader of opposition in Rajya Sabha
- The Indian National Congress named party veteran Mallikarjun Kharge as the leader of opposition in the Rajya Sabha.
- The post will fall vacant with the retirement of veteran MP Ghulam Nabi Azad on February 15.
- Azad has served as the Parliamentary Affairs Minister of India in the government of former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh until 27 October 2005, when he was appointed as the Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir.
Important GKToday Updates For Online SSC CHSL Classes
Mallikarjun Kharge had served as the leader of the Congress in the Lok Sabha from 2014 to 2019.
2. TMC MP Dinesh Trivedi announces his resignation from Rajya Sabha
- TMC leader Dinesh Trivedi announced his resignation as Rajya Sabha MP.
- Participating in the discussion over the Union Budget in the Upper House, Mr. Trivedi made the announcement from the floor of the House.
- He said that he is unhappy about the violent episodes witnessed in West Bengal and feels frustrated about not being able to speak out his mind.
- Trivedi praised PM Narendra Modi for his leadership which he said evidently drove the country out of the pandemic.
- He said, even after resignation he would continue to work for the people of West Bengal.
Important GKToday Updates For Online SSC Classes
West Bengal Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar; Capital: Kolkata; Chief Minister: Mamata Banerjee
3. Manasa Varanasi of Telangana crowned VLCC Femina Miss India World 2020
- Manasa Varanasi from Telangana has been crowned Miss India 2020.
- The 23-year-old was crowned by Miss India 2019 Suman Ratan Singh Rao from Rajasthan.
- She will now represent India at the 70th Miss World pageant in December 2021.
- Born in Hyderabad, Manasa Varanasi is an engineer by profession and works as a financial information exchange analyst.
4. Earthquake of 6.3 magnitude strikes Tajikistan; Tremors felt in several states of North India
- A high intensity earthquake hit Tajikistan last night, tremors of which were felt in Delhi-NCR and several other parts of North India including Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh and Himachal Pradesh.
- The tremors created panic amongst people who rushed out of their homes. However, there were no immediate reports of any loss of life or damage to property.
- The seismology department at first erroneously gave the epicentre as Amritsar and put the quake’s depth at 19 km. It later sent a revised statement to confirm the quake was in Tajikistan.
- According to the National Centre for Seismology (NCS), the magnitude of the quake was 6.3.
5. World Radio Day is being observed today
- World Radio Day is celebrated across the Globe every year on 13th
- The day was proclaimed by the member states of UNESCO in 2011 and subsequently adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in 2021 as an International Day.
- According to UNESCO, radio is a powerful medium for celebrating humanity and constitutes a platform for democratic discourse.
- One of the most widely consumed medium at the global level, radio has the ability to reach out to the widest audience, in the process having the ability to shape a society’s experience of diversity and providing a platform for everyone to be represented and heard.
- The theme of World Radio Day 2021 is “New World, New Radio”, will highlight the services rendered by the radio medium throughout the crisis.
Important GKToday Updates For Online banking preparation:
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization is a specialised agency of the United Nations aimed at promoting world peace and security through international cooperation in education, the sciences, and culture.
Headquarters: Paris, France