Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 13 July 2020 : Today Gk Updates
1. NTPC Limited wins prestigious CII-ITC Sustainability Award 2019
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Limited, a Central PSU under the Ministry of Power has won the prestigious CII-ITC Sustainability Award 2019 under Outstanding Accomplishment in Corporate Excellence Category.
- The company has also received a commendation for Significant Achievement in the category of CSR.
- NTPC has initiated Contractors’ Labour Information Management System through which payment to contract labourers is paid on the last day of the month at project sites.
Static GK FOR IBPS RRB Online Classes:
CII-ITC Sustainability Awards recognize and reward excellence in sustainability practices. It is considered to be the most credible platform for sustainability recognition in the country.
2. US aerospace major Boeing completes delivery of 37 military helicopters to India
- In the midst of India’s tense border standoff with China, US aerospace major Boeing delivered the final five of the 22 Apache attack helicopters to the Indian Air Force.
- It completed delivery of all 22 Apache and 15 Chinook military helicopters to the IAF and is fully committed to meet their operational needs of the Indian armed forces.
- The AH-64E Apache is one of the world’s most advanced multi-role combat helicopters and is flown by the US Army. The Chinook is a multi-role, vertical-lift platform, primarily used for transporting troops, artillery, equipment, and fuel.
Click to learn weekly current affairs quiz
Static GK For IBPS RRB 2020:
India finalised a multi-billion dollar contract with Boeing to procure 22 Apache helicopters and 15 Chinooks for the IAF in September 2015.
3. Book on Dalai Lama’s biography to release in 2020
- A new biography on the life and times of Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness Dalai Lama will be released this year.
- Titled ‘His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama: An Illustrated Biography’, the book is written by Tenzin Geyche Tethong and will be published by Roli Books. It will also be published in other languages including Russian, German, Italian and Dutch.
- Tenzin Geyche Tethong has been associated with the Dalai Lama for over four decades as his close aide and advisor.
Today GK Updates for SSC CHSL Online Exams
The 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso is the current Dalai Lama and lives in Dharamshala in Himachal Pradesh. He fled from Tibet and came to India at the age of 23. His teachings of peace and non-violence and freedom have won him the prestigious Nobel Peace Prize in the year 1989.
4. Flipkart tie-up with Karnataka Govt to promote Art & Craft
- Flipkart has signed an MoU with Karnataka MSME and Mines department to promote the state’s arts, crafts and handloom sectors by bringing them on to e-commerce and providing market access.
- The partnership under the Flipkart Samarth programme will enable local artisans, weavers and craftsmen of Karnataka to showcase their hallmark products to a pan-India customer base.
- This partnership will help in taking the local handicrafts and handlooms businesses of Karnataka to a national consumer base.
Today GK Updates for SSC CGL Exams
Karnataka Capital: Bengaluru; Chief Minister: B. S. Yediyurappa
Flipkart CEO: Kalyan Krishnamurthy
5. World Paper Bag Day: 12th July
- World Paper Bag Day is observed every year on 12th July to spread awareness about the need for the usage of paper bags.
- Paper bags are made of natural and biodegradable materials. They are made from renewable and raw materials that are recyclable and can be reused.
- American inventor, Francis Wolle has been credited for his patent of the first paper bag machine in 1852.
6. Mukesh Ambani becomes world’s seventh-richest, overtakes investor tycoon Warren Buffett
- Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani has become the world’s 7th richest person after overtaking legendary investor tycoon Warren Buffett in terms of net worth.
- The Indian billionaire’s net worth currently stands at $69.9 billion, while Warren Buffer’s net worth stands at $69.1 billion.
- Mukesh Ambani’s net worth has seen a massive spike due to the rapid rise in the share price of Reliance Industries. RIL’s share prices have almost doubled since March 2020 after a series of investments in Reliance Jio platforms within three months starting with Facebook in April.
Today GK Updates for SSC CGL 2020 Exams
Amazon founder Jeff Bezos is ranked at the top of the world’s richest individuals list with a net worth of $189.2 billion.