Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 15TH FEB – TODAY GK UPDATES
1. Donald Trump to inaugurateWorld’s Biggest Cricket Stadium
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Stadium which is also known as Motera Cricket stadium is set to become the largest cricket stadium in the world that will be inaugurated by US President Donald Trump during his visit to India on Feb 24th to 25th.
- The stadium will have a seating capacity of 1,10,000 people. It will have four dressing rooms with world-class facilities and there will be separate team meeting rooms.
- During his visit to Gujarat, Trump, along with Modi, would participate in a grand road show, planned along a 10-km decked-up stretch from the Ahmedabad airport to the Sabarmati Ashram.
- Citizens here have dubbed the upcoming visit of the US President at the Sardar Patel Stadium as “Kem Chho, Trump!” (Hello Trump) event.
STATIC GK for SBI Clerk online classes :
Sardar Vallabhbhai Stadium emerged as the World’s Biggest Cricket Stadium after the previous 53000-seater Motera Stadium was demolished back in 2015.
2. Supreme Court lifts ban on overnight construction activities in Delhi-NCR
- In a major relief to the construction sector, the Supreme Court on Friday lifted the ban on construction activities in Delhi-NCR between 6 pm and 6 am after the pollution level reduced.
- The judgement was delivered by a bench of justices comprising Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Deepak Gupta after the Central Pollution Control Board had note improvement in Delhi’s air quality index.
- The Supreme Court had imposed a blanket ban on construction and demolition activities in Delhi-NCR in November 2019 due to the air pollution level in the national capital.
- Though the apex court has been monitoring the pollution crisis in Delhi for many years and passed a slew of directions from time to time including banning polluting firecrackers and introducing cleaner fuel, the situation has remains grim during winters with stubble-burning in neighbouring states aggravating the problem.
3. Indian Hockey Captain wins FIH Men’s Player of the Year 2019
- Manpreet Singh, Indian men’s hockey team captain was named the Player of the Year 2019 by the International Hockey Federation (FIH).
- He becomes the first Indian to be awarded with FIH’s Player of the Year award since its introduction in 1999.
- In 2019, he had captained the Indian team to victory in the FIH Olympic Qualifiers, securing a spot for India at the Tokyo Olympic Games 2020.
- Belgium’s Arthur van Dorren came second and Argentina’s Lucas Villa came third.
- Indian midfielder Vivek Sagar Prasad was awarded FIH’s Rising Star of the Year (male) award and striker Lalremsiami won the FIH Rising Star of the Year (female) 2019 award.
GK TODAY UPDATES for SSC CHSL Online Classes:
FIH – Founded: 7 January 1924; Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland;
President: Narinder Batra; CEO: Thierry Weil.
4. IndusInd Bank tops list of ‘Highest increase in brand value’
- IndusInd Bank has topped the list of ‘Highest increase in brand value’ among global banks, according to ‘The Banker’s Top 500 Banking Brands 2020’ report.
- As per the Report, which benchmarks the strength, risk and potential of a brand relative to its competitors, the brand value of Induslnd Bank has increased by 122% over the past 12 months.
- The Bank has constantly leveraged on the latest technology to deliver innovative banking solutions through multiple touch points. This has enabled the Bank to establish a strong “universal” banking model and consolidate its position as one of India’s leading financial services brand.
Today GK Update for SSC CGL Online Classes:
Founded: 1994; Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra; MD & CEO: Romesh Sobti.
6. Five-day working week in Maharashtra
- The Maharashtra government announced a five-day working week for its officers and employees that would start from February 29.
- The cabinet also extended the current work hours by 45 minutes.
- The government is of the view that the new structure would not only improve the quality of life of its employees but will also cut down expenses on fuel and electricity.
- The new work hours will be from 9.45 am to 6.15 pm including the lunch break for 30 minutes between 1 pm and 2 pm.
- Currently Maharashtra government officials work on the first and third Saturdays of the month and get an off on the second and fourth Saturdays.
STATIC GK for SBI Clerk 2020 :
Maharashtra Gazetted Officers Association president G D Kulthe has hailed the five-day work decision.
7. EIU Revises Global Growth Forecast for 2020
- The Economist Intelligence Unit has revised downwards its global growth forecast for 2020 to 2.2 per cent, from 2.3 per cent previously, citing new risks that have emerged following the novel coronavirus outbreak in China.
- It has lowered the forecast due to the new risks that have emerged following the novel coronavirus outbreak in China.
- The Economist Intelligence Unit’s baseline scenario is that the public health emergency in China will be brought under control by end-March.
- The report further said “a series of government stimulus measures, coupled with a low-interest-rate environment, are likely to spur demand and investment in 2020 and to cause a rebound in full-year real GDP growth, to 6.1 per cent (up from an estimated 4.9 per cent in 2019), provided that the coronavirus epidemic does not spread to India”.
STATIC GK for SBI Clerk online classes :
EIU is a British business within the Economist Group providing forecasting and advisory services through research and analysis;Founded: 1946; Headquarters: London, England.
8. India, Portugal sign seven agreements
- India and Portugal signed seven agreements to boost cooperation in areas including maritime transport, port development, audio-visual co-production and industrial and intellectual property rights.
- The agreements were signed after detailed high-level talks between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa in New Delhi.
- India and Portugal have seen significant progress in their relationship for the past 15 years.
- 7 MoUs are:
- MOU between Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA) and Institute of Social and Political Sciences of the University of Lisbon for co-operation in strategic and security areas.
- MoU between We-Hub Telangana and PARKURBIS Covilha for Exchange of Women Start-up Entrepreneurs.
- MOU between the National Institute for Interdisciplinary Science and Technology (CSIR-NIIST), Thiruvananthapuram and Instituto Superior Técnico (IST), Portugal, for collaboration in higher sciences.
- MOU between TERI-DEAKIN Centre, Gurugram and International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL) Braga for co-operation in Nano-biotechnology.
- MOU between Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. and CEiiA in aeronautics.
- MOU between VEDA Defence and UA Vision for production of drones.
- MOU between VYASA, Bangalore and Portuguese Yoga Confederation for collaboration in a Scientific Validation project on the benefits of Yoga for Portuguese schoolchildren.