Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 16 July 2020 : Today Gk Updates
1. PM Modi to virtually address ECOSOC on United Nation’s 75th anniversary on July 17
– PM Narendra Modi will virtually give a keynote address at the valedictory session of the High-level Segment of the United Nations’ Economic and Social Council (UN ECOSOC) on July 17 in New York.
– The session will be on the 75th anniversary of the United Nations. This has been considered as an important development, as the address will be PM Modi’s first speech at the UN after India’s elections to the Security Council.
– The PM will be joined by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and Norway PM Erna Solberg.
– The theme of the High-Level Segment which is held annually by ECOSOC is “Multilateralism after COVID 19: What kind of UN do we need at the 75th anniversary”.
Static GK FOR IBPS RRB Online Classes:
The United Nations is an intergovernmental organization that aims to maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations, achieve international cooperation, and be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations.
Secretary General: António Guterres; Headquarters: New York, United States
2. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh to visit J&K and Ladakh on July 17/18
– Defence Minister Rajnath Singh will visit forward areas of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh on July 17th and 18th. Army Chief General M M Naravane and senior defence officials will accompany him. During this visit, they will review the security situation in Eastern Ladakh.
– This will be the Defence Minister’s first visit to Ladakh since the faceoff with China commenced.
– Mr Singh is likely to visit Atal Tunnel, previously known as Rohtang Tunnel named after former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. This is a highway tunnel being built under the Rohtang Pass in the eastern Pir Panjal range of the Himalayas on the Leh-Manali Highway.
Static GK For IBPS RRB 2020:
Lieutenant Governor of J&K: G. C. Murmu
Lieutenant Governor of Ladakh: R. K. Mathur
3. HRD Ministry launches most affordable COVID-19 test Kit
– Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank and Minister of State for HRD Sanjay Dhotre have launched the most affordable COVID-19 test Kit. It has been produced by IIT Delhi.
– COROSURE is one of the companies which have received the non exclusive license from IIT Delhi for the probe free RT-PCR based COVID-19 test kit.
– The test kit has been produced by IIT Delhi, manufactured by New Tech Medical Devices and will be made available across hospitals and all diagnostic centers.
4. BCCI appoints Hemang Amin as interim CEO
– The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has appointed Hemang Amin as the interim CEO of the board.
– The BCCI’s announcement came after former CEO Rahul Johri’s resignation was accepted by the board.
-Amin’s appointment to the post is only for the interim period. The BCCI is expected to appoint the next CEO of the board in the next 8-12 months.
Hemang Amin has been serving the BCCI since 2010. Amin had joined the IPL operations team in June 2010. He was appointed as the BCCI’s IPL Chief Operating Officer (COO) in 2015.
Today GK Updates for SSC CHSL Online Exams
The Board of Control for Cricket in India is the national governing body for cricket in India.
President: Sourav Ganguly; Secretary: Jay Shah; Headquarters: Mumbai
5. UK bans its companies from sourcing 5G equipment from Chinese company Huawei
– The UK has banned its companies from sourcing 5G equipment from Chinese telecom company Huawei. The move comes despite Beijing’s threat to retaliate to any such action by Britain.
– UK’s Digital Secretary Oliver Dowden made the announcement after a meeting chaired by UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, of his cabinet and the National Security Council.
– The new guidelines require the British telecom operators to remove all 5G-related equipment supplied by the Chinese company from their infrastructure by 2027.
Today GK Updates for SSC CGL Exams
UK Capital: London
Constituent countries: England; Scotland; Wales; Northern Ireland
6. Ashok Lavasa named as the new Vice President of Asian Development Bank
– Election Commissioner Ashok Lavasa has been named as the new Vice President of the Philippines based Asian Development bank.
– Lavasa was next in the line to hold the poll panel but with the latest appointment, he will be able to take this position at ADB only after resigning from his current job.
– As per the statement by a multilateral lending agency, ADB has appointed Ashok Lavasa as VP for Private Sector Operations and Public-Private Partnerships. Lavasa will succeed Diwakar Gupta, whose term will end on August 31, 2020.
Ashok Lavasa would have retired as the Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) in October 2022.