Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 19 August 2020 : GKToday Updates
1. PM Modi to announce results of Swachh Survekshan 2020 tomorrow
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will announce the results of Swachh Survekshan 2020 tomorrow. This is the fifth edition of the annual cleanliness survey of the country.
- A total of 129 awards will be handed over to the top performing cities and states in the programme titled “Swachh Mahotsav”. The Prime Minister will also be interacting with select beneficiaries, swachhagrahis and safai karmis through video conference.
- Swachh Survekshan 2020 is the World’s largest cleanliness survey which ranked a total of 4,242 cities, 62 Cantonment Boards and 92 Ganga Towns and saw an unprecedented participation of 1.87 crore citizens.
GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching:
Swachh Survekshan 2020 was completed in 28 days.
2. Govt launches Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge
- Electronics and IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad launched Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge – Innovate Solutions for Aatmanirbhar Bharat.
- IIT Madras and Center for Development of Advance Computing have developed two microprocessors named SHAKTI (32 bit) and VEGA (64 bit) respectively using Open Source Architecture.
- The Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge seeks to invite innovators, startups and students to use these microprocessors to develop various technology products.
- While top 10 teams entering the finale, will get the seed fund of 2 crore 30 lakh rupees and 12 months incubation support.
3. Ashok Lavasa resigns as Election Commissioner, to join ADB as Vice President
- Ashok Lavasa has resigned from his position as Election Commissioner to join Philippines-based Asian Development Bank (ADB) as the Vice President. Mr. Lavasa will be joining his new position in September 2020.
- Ashok Lavasa has submitted his resignation to President Ram Nath Kovind and has requested to be relieved from his position as Election Commissioner by the end of August 2020.
- Earlier on July 15, 2020, he was named as the new Vice President of the Asian Development Bank.
Mr. Lavasa will succeed Diwakar Gupta, whose term will end on August 31, 2020.
Static GK for Online coaching for ssc cgl:
Vice President of the ADB is appointed for the term of three years, which can be later extended by another two years.
4. RBI releases framework for pan-India entity for retail payments
- Reserve Bank of India has unveiled the framework for setting up of pan-India Umbrella Entity for Retail Payments.
- As per the framework, the companies with a net worth of over 500 crore rupees will be eligible to set up an umbrella entity which among other things will be permitted to set up, manage and operate new payment systems in the retail space comprising ATMs, White Label PoS, Aadhaar-based payments and remittance services.
- The entity will be expected to monitor national as well as international developments so as to avoid shocks and frauds that may adversely affect the system and the economy in general.
- Inviting applications by February 2021, the RBI said that the promoter/promoter group of the umbrella entity shall be owned and controlled by resident Indian citizens.
GKToday Updates Online Bank Coaching:
The Reserve Bank of India is India’s central bank, which controls the issue and supply of the Indian rupee. RBI is the regulator of the entire Banking in India.
Governor: Shaktikanta Das
5. Rohit Sharma, Vinesh Phogat among 5 athletes picked for Khel Ratna award
- Cricketer Rohit Sharma, wrestler Vinesh Phogat, women’s hockey captain Rani Rampal and table tennis star Manika Batra besides Para athlete Mariyappan Thangavelu were recommended for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna by the Sports Awards Committee.
- This is the first time in the history of awards that five athletes have been recommended for the top sporting accolade with the final decision resting on sports minister Kiren Rijiju.
- The awards function this year is likely to be held virtually.
Static GK For SSC Online Classes:
Rohit Sharma is the fourth cricketer to be selected for the Khel Ratna, after Sachin Tendulkar, MS Dhoni and skipper Virat Kohli.
6. Dream11 wins IPL 2020 title sponsorship rights with bid of Rs 222 crore
- Fantasy gaming platform Dream11 has won the IPL title sponsorship rights with a bid of 222 crore rupees.
IPL Chairman Brijesh Patel has informed that the deal will be valid for four and a half months, ending December 2020.
- Dream11 will replace VIVO after the Chinese mobile phone maker suspended its deal owing to a border stand-off between India and China.
- Two education technology companies, BYJUs and Unacademy were also in the race with bids of 201 crore and 170 crore rupees respectively.
GKToday Updates For Online banking coaching:
IPL 2020 starts on 19th September in the UAE