Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 19 Feb 2021 : GKToday Updates
1. PM Modi to chair 6th meeting of Governing Council of NITI Aayog on 20th Feb
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will chair the sixth meeting of the Governing Council of NITI Aayog virtually on 20th of this month.
- Deliberations on agriculture, infrastructure, manufacturing, human resource development, service delivery at grassroots level and health and nutrition are the key agenda of the meeting.
- The sixth meeting will witness the entry of Ladakh for the first time in addition to the participation of Jammu and Kashmir as a Union Territory.
- The meeting will also be attended by the ex-officio members of the Governing Council, Union Ministers, Vice Chairman, Members and CEO of NITI Aayog and other senior officials.
Important GKToday Updates For Online banking preparation:
The NITI Aayog is a policy think tank of the Government of India, established with the aim to achieve sustainable development goals with cooperative federalism by fostering the involvement of State Governments of India in the economic policy-making process.
Formed: 1st January 2015
2. India hosts Workshop on ‘COVID-19 Mgmt: Experience, Good Practices and Way Forward’
- India hosted a Workshop on ‘COVID-19 Management: Experience, Good Practices and Way Forward’.
- Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Mauritius, Nepal, Pakistan, Seychelles and Sri Lanka participated in the workshop.
- The key proposals include special visas for medical professionals, arrangement for special Air ambulance and a regional platform for studies on forecasting future pandemics.
- Sources said all the countries proposed a structured discussion for regional cooperation on these proposals to take them forward. They agreed that there was a need for such cooperation on a regional basis for fighting such pandemics.
3. Hyderabad gets recognition as Tree City of the World
- The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization and the Arbor Day Foundation have recognized Hyderabad as 2020 Tree City of World, for its commitment to grow and maintain urban forests.
- Officials said the recognition was a testament to the city’s sustained and institutional efforts to plant, nurture and celebrate trees, development of urban and peri-urban forestry actions, projects and strategic planning and commitment to build a healthy city.
- Most of the other cities were from the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Australia.
Important GKToday Updates For Online SSC CGL Classes
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger and improve nutrition and food security.
Headquarters: Rome, Italy
4. Kerala launches fibre optic network to provide free internet to 20 lakh families
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan launched the KFON (Kerala Fibre Optic Network) in the state to provide high-speed, affordable internet connectivity to every household.
- With KFON, free internet connectivity will be provided to 20 lakh BPL families and it will also cover villages in all 14 districts.
- Earlier only 10% of government offices had high-speed Internet. With the launch of KFON; 30,000 government institutions will now have access to high bandwidth connectivity.
Important GKToday Updates For Online SSC Classes
KFON is a joint venture of Kerala State IT Infra Ltd and Kerala State Electricity Board. A consortium led by Bharat Electronics Limited was selected to implement the project in Mar 19.
5. Chris Morris becomes costliest ever player at IPL auction for Rajasthan Royal
- Chris Morris became the costliest ever player at the IPL auction for Rajasthan Royal (Rs 16.25 crores) while Krishnappa Gowtham became the costliest Indian uncapped player for Chennai Super Kings (Rs 9.25 crore) at the auction.
- Kyle Jamieson recorded the second-highest figure, signed by Royal Challengers Bangalore for INR 15 crore.
- Glenn Maxwell was picked up by the Royal Challengers for INR 14.25 crore while Jhye Richardson was signed by the Kings for INR 14 crore.
- The IPL 2021 auction was held in Chennai and all the 8 teams were looking to make some additions to their squad.