Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 20 Feb 2021 : GKToday Updates
1. India crosses landmark milestone of over one crore vaccine doses administered against COVID-19
- More than one crore seven lakh beneficiaries have been administered Covid-19 vaccines in the country so far.
- The Health and Family Welfare Ministry informed that a total of 5 lakh 27 thousand 197 beneficiaries have been inoculated with Covid-19 doses in the last 24 hours.
- Meanwhile, the country’s COVID-19 recovery rate has reached 97.27 per cent with the total recovery of more than 10 thousand 307 patients within 24 hours.
- The Ministry said, more than 1 crore 6 lakh 78 thousand patients have already been recovered from this disease and there are 1 lakh 43 thousand 127 active cases in the country which comprises 1.30 per cent of the total positive cases.
- A total of 13 thousand 993 new cases have been reported in the country in the past 24 hours taking the cumulative positive cases to over 1 crore 9 lakh 77 thousand.
2. EAM S Jaishankar to visit Maldives and Mauritius from Feb 20
- The External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar will be visiting Maldives on Feb 20-21 and Mauritius on Feb 22-23, 2021.
- As per the statement by the Minister of External Affairs, during the visit to the Maldives, the EAM will call on Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, President of Maldives and will also have substantive discussions with Ministers of Defence, Foreign Affairs, Economic Development, Finance and Planning and Infrastructure.
- During his visit to Mauritius, the EAM will call on the country’s President Prithivirajsing Roopun and PM Pravind Jugnauth. He will also be meeting his counterpart Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration Minister, Minister for Land Transport and Light Rail.
Important GKToday Updates For Online banking preparation:
Maldives Capital: Malé; Mauritius Capital: Port Louis
3. Union Minister Nitin Gadkari launches ‘Go Electric Campaign’ to boost electric mobility across country
- The Union Minister of Road, Transport, and Highways Nitin Gadkari launched the ‘Go Electric Campaign’ in order to spread awareness regarding the benefits of EV Charging Infrastructure and e-mobility as well as electric cooking in India.
- Go Electric Campaign aims at creating awareness at the PAN-India level and is also expected to boost the confidence of the Electric Vehicle manufacturers.
- Nitin Gadkari while launching the campaign highlighted that Go Electric is the future of India which will help in promoting environmental-friendly, cost-effective, and indigenous electric products.
- The Minister of State for Power and New & Renewable Energy R.K. Singh was also present on the occasion.
4. US officially re-joins Paris climate agreement
- The United States has officially rejoined the Paris Climate Agreement. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that the work to reduce US emissions has already begun.
- Hours after he was sworn-in as US President; Joe Biden signed an executive order beginning the 30-day process for the US to re-enter the global pact.
- Under the Paris agreement, countries are expected to enhance their commitments to curb greenhouse gas emissions every five years. The goals of the global pact are to limit global warming to well below 2°C and pursue efforts to limit it to 1.5°C.
Important GKToday Updates For Online SSC CGL Classes
The Paris Agreement is an agreement within the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, on climate change mitigation, adaptation and finance signed in 2016.
5. Veteran Congress leader Captain Satish Sharma passes away
- Veteran Congress leader and former Union Minister Captain Satish Sharma passed away in Goa after a brief illness, and suffering from cancer.
- A three-time Lok Sabha MP who represented Rae Bareli and Amethi constituencies, Sharma was a Rajya Sabha member for three terms representing the states of Madhya Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh.
- He served as the Union Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas from 1993 to 1996 in the Narasimha Rao government.
- Captain Satish Sharma was a close aide of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
Important GKToday Updates For Online SSC Classes
Born on Oct 11, 1947 in Andhra Pradesh’s Secunderabad, Sharma was a professional commercial pilot.