Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS – 20 June 2020 : GK UPDATES
1. India to serve as the President of UNSC in August 2021
– India will be serving as president of the power 15 nation UN body for August 2021.
– The council presidency has been held by each of the members in turn for one month following the alphabetical order.
– As per the office of the United Nations spokesperson, India will have a rotating presidency of the Council for August 2021. It will again preside over a council for a month in 2022.
– India has recently been elected as a non-permanent member of the Security Council.
For a two-year term beginning on January 1, 2021, India, Norway, Mexico, Ireland, and Kenya were elected as a non-permanent member of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) on June 17, 2020.
2. France commits 200 million Euros for India’s COVID response
– France and India signed an agreement with Paris committing 200 million euros to support India’s Covid response.
– Through this loan, France will work with India to increase the state and central governments’ capacities to support the country’s most vulnerable people in the wake of the COVID-19 crisis.
– The programme design, developed by the World Bank in collaboration with the Indian authorities, seeks to optimize and scale up the Indian Government’s existing social protection measures.
– The programme will provide further benefits to low-income families to ensure the health, social and economic shocks arising from Covid-19.
France President: Emmanuel Macron; Capital: Paris
3. ICICI Home Finance launches affordable housing loan scheme
– ICICI Home Finance has launched a special affordable housing loan scheme, with special rates for women, lower and middle income groups.
– Called SARAL, it aims to fund homes in urban and rural areas. It has been developed for women, lower-middle-income customers, and economically weaker sections who have a maximum household income up to Rs 6 lakhs annually.
– This housing loan is offered at an interest rate starting from 7.98 percent onwards.
– Under the SARAL affordable housing loan, one can opt for a loan up to Rs 35 lakhs, and for a maximum tenure of 20 years.
ICICI Bank CEO: Sandeep Bakhshi; Headquarters: Mumbai
4. Govt closely monitoring transmission of repo rate cut by Banking Sector
– Finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman said that Government is closely monitoring transmission of repo rate cut by the Banking Sector.
– Addressing a virtual meeting with PHD chamber of commerce members, she said government recognises efforts of wealth creators in India’s growth story.
– The Finance Minister stated that they are closely watching the developments in disbursement of loans under the provision of 3 lakh crore rupees collateral free automatic loans for businesses.
5. ‘Air-Venti’ App to provide information on ICU beds, ventilators in Mumbai
– In Maharashtra amid the COVID-19 crisis, Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) has launched a mobile application “Air-Venti” to help residents in the city to know about the availability of the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) beds and Ventilators.
– he COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the acute shortage of ventilators for the ‘Respiratory Intensive Care Unit’ for severely ill patients.
– The mobile app ‘Air-Venti’ launched by the civic body in Mumbai aims to provide overall statistics of ICU beds and ventilators that are occupied and vacant in both govt and private hospitals besides location map, ability to contact hospital through telephonic call and email is also available.
Maharashtra Capital: Mumbai; Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
6. Malayalam filmmaker Sachidanandan passes away
– Malayalam writer-director KR Sachidanandan, popularly known in the industry as Sachy, passed away.
– He suffered a cardiac arrest and hypoxic brain damage, wherein the brain does not get enough oxygen.
– Sachy debuted in the film industry as a writer, collaborating with fellow writer and screenwriter Sethunath. The duo, known as Sachy-Sethu, went on to write hits such as Chocolate, Makeup Man, Robin Hood, and Seniors.
Sachy started off as a writer in the Malayalam film industry, and then moved on to direction, debuting as a director in 2015 with the Prithviraj-starrer Anarkali.