Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 22 August 2020 : GKToday Updates
1. National Sports Awards 2020 announced
- The government announced the National Sports Awards 2020.
- Cricketer Rohit Sharma, Para-Athlete Mariyappan Thangavelu, Table Tennis player Manika Batra, Wrestler Vinesh Phogat and Indian Women’s Hockey team captain Rani Rampal will receive the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
- This year 27 sportspersons have been selected for the Arjuna Award for consistent outstanding performance for four years.
- The selection committee, headed by Justice (Retd.) Mukundakam Sharma chose 15 sportspersons for Dhyanchan Award, eight coaches for Dronacharya award in Life-time category and five coaches for the Dronacharya Award in regular category.
- The awardees will receive their awards from the President Ram Nath Kovind at a function specially organized through virtual mode from Rashtrapati Bhawan on 29th August which is National Sports Day.
GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching:
The National Sports Day is celebrated on 29 August, on the birth anniversary of hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand.
2. Second Sero survey of Delhi shows 29% people exposed to COVID-19
- The National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and Delhi Government jointly conducted the second serological survey in the national capital between August 1 -August 7, 2020.
- The second Sero survey results are out and reveal that 29.1% of Delhi’s population has been exposed to the COVID-19 pandemic and has developed antibodies against the novel Coronavirus.
- The survey findings clearly show that the prevalence of antibodies has increased in people by more than 6% in comparison to the first sero survey that was held between June 27 – July 10, 2020.
Static GK for Online coaching for ssc cgl:
Samples were collected from 15,000 people to conduct the second survey.
Learn online 22 Aug 2020 current affairs through video
3. Rajiv Kumar appointed as new Election Commissioner
- Former finance secretary Rajiv Kumar has been appointed as new Election Commissioner. He will replace Ashok Lavasa, who resigned earlier this week.
- Mr Kumar’s appointment comes at a time when the Election Commission is preparing to hold Bihar assembly polls amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- A 1984-batch IAS officer of Jharkhand cadre, Rajiv Kumar has over three decades of experience in public policy and administration across various sectors. He played a major role in merging 10 public sector banks into four. Mr Kumar undertook a massive 3 lakh crore rupees recapitalisation of banks during his tenure.
GKToday Updates Online Bank Coaching:
The Election Commission of India is an autonomous constitutional authority responsible for administering election processes in India at national and state.
Formed: 25th January, 1950
4. India conducts record 10 lakh COVID-19 tests in single day
- India has crossed the milestone of conducting 10 lakh COVID19 tests in a single day.
- Expanded diagnostic lab network across the country and effective measures to facilitate easy testing have given a substantial boost to the present numbers.
- The Ministry said, this has been made possible because of effective implementation of the policy of testing aggressively, tracking comprehensively and treating efficiently.
- India’s recovery rate amongst the COVID-19 patients has reached to nearly 74 per cent.
Static GK For SSC Online Classes:
The case fatality rate continues to show steady decline and now stands at 1.90 percent.
5. NHAI develops mobile App ‘Harit Path’ to facilitate creation of Green Highways
- The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), a PSU under the Ministry of Road and Transport has developed a mobile App, ‘Harit Path’ to facilitate creation of Green Highways across the country.
- The app will be used to monitor location, growth, species details, maintenance activities, targets and achievements of the PSU’s field units for every plant under the Highway plantation projects.
- Harit Path was inaugurated by the Union Minister for Road and Transport, Nitin Gadkari.
GKToday Updates For Online banking coaching:
NHAI had also recently undertaken a nation-wide plantation drive, Harit Bharat Sankalp, under which it planted over 25 lakh plants in 25 days along the stretches of the National Highways across the country.
6. Ganesh Chaturthi being celebrated across the country today
- The festival of Ganesh Chaturthi is being celebrated across the country with great devotion today. The day marks the birth of Lord Ganesha, who is a symbol of wisdom, prosperity and good fortune.
- People place clay idols of Lord Ganesha in their home and worship them during the 10-day long festival. Ganesh Chaturthi is a major attraction in Maharashtra, where people celebrate it with great zeal.
- President Ram Nath Kovind, Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu and Prime Minister Narendra Modi have greeted people on Ganesh Chaturthi.
Click to know Madras Day