Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 23 Feb 2021 : GKToday Updates
1. PM Modi to address 66th annual convocation of IIT Kharagpur today
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address the 66th annual convocation of IIT Kharagpur via video conferencing today.
- Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank and Minister of State for Education Sanjay Dhotre will also attend the convocation.
- As many as 75 students including nine Institute Gold medal winners and 66 Institute Silver medal winners have been invited to receive the awards in person. More than 2,800 students will be awarded degrees in online mode.
- The Institute will also confer DSc, IIT Kharagpur Life Fellow Award & distinguished Alumnus Award to 27 achievers for their contribution to academics and research, social service & public welfare.
2. DRDO successfully conducts launch of two Vertical Short Range Surface to Air Missile
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully conducted two Vertical Launch Short Range Surface to Air Missile (VL-SRSAM) test.
- The launches were carried out from a static vertical launcher from Integrated Test Range, Chandipur off the coast of Odisha.
- Indigenously designed and developed by the DRDO for Indian Navy, VL-SRSAM is meant for neutralizing various aerial threats at close ranges including sea-skimming targets.
- The current launches were carried out for demonstration of vertical launch capability as part of its maiden launch campaign. On both occasions, the missiles intercepted the simulated targets with pinpoint accuracy.
Important GKToday Updates For Online SSC CGL Classes
The Defence Research and Development Organisation is an agency under the Ministry of Defence of the Government of India, charged with the military’s research and development, headquartered in Delhi.
Chief: Dr G. Satheesh Reddy
3. Puducherry CM V Narayanasamy resigns after losing trust vote in Assembly
- Puducherry CM V Narayanasamy submitted his resignation to Lieutenant Governor Tamilisai Soundararajan on Feb 22 after losing trust vote in the Assembly.
- The V Narayanaswamy-led Congress government lost the floor test, following which the Puducherry Assembly Speaker announced that the Chief Minister has failed to prove his majority and adjourned the house sine die.
- Telangana Governor Tamilisai Soundararajan was given additional charge as Puducherry Lt Governor on Feb 16 after removal of Kiran Bedi from the post.
4. Karnataka to host Khelo India University Games 2021
- Karnataka will be hosting the second Khelo India University Games (KIUG) 2021, which is scheduled to take place later this year.
- The announcement was made by Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa and Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju.
- Khelo India University Games is the largest University Games in the country to identify sporting talent who can represent India in international events, including the Olympics.
The first edition of KIUG was held in Bhubaneswar in Feb 2020.
5. Launch of Chandrayaan-3 delayed further to 2022 due to COVID-19 pandemic
- The Chief of the Indian Space Research Organisation- ISRO K Sivan informed that India’s third mission to the moon, Chandrayaan-3, is likely to be launched in the year 2022.
- COVID-19 pandemic has affected several projects of ISRO including Gaganyaan, the first manned mission of India, and Chandrayaan-3, which was earlier scheduled to be launched in 2020.
- Chandrayaan-3 is critical for ISRO as it will be demonstrating the capabilities of India to make landing for the further interplanetary mission.
- He also informed that the ISRO is targeting Dec 2021 for the launch of the first unmanned mission under the Gaganyaan project.
Important GKToday Updates For Online banking preparation:
The Indian Space Research Organisation is the national space agency of the India, headquartered in Bengaluru. It operates under the Department of Space.