Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS – 23 June 2020 : GK UPDATES
1. NITI Aayog to launch ‘Decarbonising Transport in India’ project on June 24
– NITI Aayog will be launching ‘Decarbonising Transport in India’ project on June 24 in collaboration with the International Transport Forum.
– The main aim of the project will be to develop a pathway towards a low-carbon transport system for India.
– The Decarbonising Transport in India project will be launched by NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant and ITF Secretary-General Young Tae Kim during an online public launch event.
– The event will see participation from several senior officials of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Ministry of Road, Transport and Highways and ITF.
Today GK Updates for SSC CHSL Exams
India has been a member of the International Transport Forum (ITF) since 2008. The ITF is an intergovernmental organisation for transport policy.
2. Government grants emergency funds to armed forces amid India-China face-off
– The government has granted emergency funds up to Rs 500 crore per procurement project to the three armed services to buy ammunition and weapons in view of the escalating border standoff with China.
– The special financial powers have been given to the armed forces to procure weapons and military hardware at short notice to enhance their operational preparedness along the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
– Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has directed the Indian Army, the Indian Navy and the Indian Air Force to enhance their operational readiness along the LAC amid rising tensions between India and China.
Today GK Updates for SSC CGL Exams
The LAC is the Line of Actual Control, a 3,500 km de-facto border between India and China.
3. Insurance Scheme under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package for health workers extended
– The Insurance Scheme announced under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package for health workers who are fighting to contain COVID-19 has been extended for another three months till September. Earlier the scheme was slated to end on 30th June.
– The scheme provides an insurance cover of 50 lakh rupees to around over 22 lakh public healthcare providers. They include community health workers, who may have to be in direct contact and care of COVID-19 patients and who may be at risk of being impacted by this.
– Doctors, nurses, paramedics, sanitation workers and a few others working in hospitals under the central and State governments are covered under the insurance scheme. Ward-Boys, ASHA workers and technicians are also covered by the special insurance scheme.
Today GK Updates for SSC 2020 Exams
The scheme is funded through the National Disaster Response Fund, operated by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
4. RBI Doubles Withdrawal Limit To Rs 1 Lakh for PMC Bank Depositors
– In a relief to the depositors of fraud-hit PMC Bank, the Reserve Bank of India enhanced the withdrawal limit to Rs 1 lakh while extending the regulatory restriction on the cooperative bank by another six months till Dec. 22. The earlier withdrawal limit was Rs 50,000 per depositor.
– The RBI had placed regulatory curbs on the Punjab and Maharashtra Cooperative Bank Limited, Mumbai, on Sept. 23, 2019, after finding out certain financial irregularities, hiding and misreporting of loans given to real estate developer HDIL.
– With the latest relaxation on withdrawal, more than 84% of the depositors of the bank will be able to withdraw their entire account balance. The withdrawal limit was last enhanced to Rs 50,000 per depositor on Nov. 5, 2019, and the restrictions extended up to June 22, 2020.
Static GK for online banking classes :
The Reserve Bank of India is India’s central bank, which controls the issue and supply of the Indian rupee. RBI is the regulator of the entire Banking in India.
Governor: Shaktikanta Das
5. World Athletics appoints Laurent Boquillet as new Head of Global Development
– World Athletics on June 22 announced that Laurent Boquillet has been appointed as the Head of Global Development.
– Laurent Boquillet will be taking up his position on July 1, 2020, and will be based in Monaco at World Athletics Head Office.
– The new position of Head of Global Development supports the body’s vision which is ‘to use the power and accessibility of athletics and our athletes to create a healthier and fitter world.