Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Today GK Updates & Daily Current Affairs – 24th Feb 2020
1. Dr. Niti Kumar gets SERB Women Excellence Award
- Dr. Niti Kumar, Senior Scientist of Molecular Parasitology and Immunology Division, CSIR-CDRI, Lucknow, has received the SERB Women’s Excellence Award-2020. She will be awarded by the President of India, Ram Nath Kovind during the National Science Day celebration at Vigyan Bhawan on February 28, 2020.
- Dr. Niti Kumar’s research group is working to understand the protein quality control machinery in malaria parasites to explore alternative drugs for malaria.
- Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) is a constitutional body works under the Department of Science and Technology (DoST), Government of India.
2. Haryana govt to open Atal Kisan – Majdoor canteens to provide meal at concessional rate
- The Haryana government will open Atal Kisan – Majdoor canteens in all mandis and sugar mills across the state to provide affordable and cheap meals to farmers and labourers at a concessional rate of 10 rupees per plate. The 25 such canteens will be established this year.
- This announcement was made by Governor Satyadev Narayan Arya during his address to the Budget Session of State Assembly which commenced in Chandigarh.
- The Haryana government will also provide free and concessional travel facility to 41 different categories of residents in the ordinary buses of Haryana Roadways.
TODAY GK UPDATES for SSC CHSL Online Classes:
Haryana Capital: Chandigarh; Chief Minister: Manohar Lal Khattar
3. India attends SCO defence and security experts meeting in Pakistan
- Pakistan hosted a two-day meeting of defence and security experts of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) in Islamabad which was attended by India and other member states including China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan.
- The 9th Defence and Security Expert Working Group meeting of the SCO discussed different aspects of cooperation between the SCO members.
- Belarus attended the meeting as the observer state.
- For the first time, India will host the annual meeting of the council of heads of government of the SCO later this year.
TODAY GK UPDATES for IBPS clerk online classes:
SCO Headquarters: Beijing, China; Secretary General: Vladimir Norov
Founded on: 26th April 1996; Official language: Chinese and Russia
4. Rajnath Singh laid the foundation stone for ‘Thal Sena Bhawan’ in Delhi Cantonment
- The Indian Army is all set to get new headquarters called “Thal Sena Bhawan” in the Delhi Cantonment area.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh laid the foundation stone for construction of a new Army headquarter building in Delhi Cantonment.
- “Thal Sena Bhawan” will be spread over 39 acres, and will come up near the Manekshaw Centre in the Delhi Cantonment area in the next five years.
- The Thal Sena Bhawan will bring all Army headquarters offices under one roof and help in better synergy and working efficiency.
STATIC GK For SSC Online Classes:
The President of India is the Supreme Commander of the Indian Army.
Founded: 1 April 1895; Headquarters: New Delhi
5. India ranked 77th on sustainability, 131st in child flourishing index rankings
- According to a United Nations backed report released India ranked 77th on a sustainability index that takes into account per capita carbon emissions.
- India was also ranked 131st on a flourishing ranking that measures the best chance at survival and well-being for children.
- The Sustainability Index ranks countries on excess carbon emissions compared with the 2030 target.
- The report was commissioned by the World Health Organization (WHO), UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and The Lancet medical journal.
STATIC GK For SSC CGL Online Classes:
The United Nations (UN) is an intergovernmental organization that aims to maintain international peace and security, protect human rights, develop friendly relations among nations, providing humanitarian aid, achieve international cooperation and promote sustainable development.
It is the largest and the most powerful organization in the world having 193 member countries and 2 observers. It was established after World War II with an objective to prevent any future wars and to promote world peace. The 1st session of UN was held in London, in 1946.
Secretary General: António Guterres
Headquarters: New York, United States
Founded: 24 October 1945, San Francisco, California
24 October has been celebrated as United Nations Day since 1948.
United States Official languages: Arabic; Chinese; English; French; Russian; Spanish