Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS – 25TH FEB 2020
1. Donald Trump arrived on a Historic two-day maiden visit in India
- US President Donald Trumpand the First Lady Melania Trump arrived in India on a two-day maiden visit where he was accompanied by hisdaughter Ivanka, son-in-law Jared Kushner and top brass of his administration.
- In Ahmedabad, he visited Sabarmati Ashram and take part in a roadshow with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The two leaders jointly address over one lakh people at the ‘Namaste Trump’ event at the newly-constructed Motera cricket stadium.
- After that, Mr Trump paid visit to Taj Mahal in Agra where UP Governor Anandiben Patel and Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath welcomed the US president on his arrival.
- The US President’s maiden visit to India is expected to see the signing of a few defence and trade deals between India and the United States.
2. NITI Aayog organizes Sustainable Development Goals Conclave 2020
- NITI Aayog is organizing Sustainable Development Goals Conclave 2020: Partnerships, Cooperation and Development of North Eastern states– in Guwahati, Assam. The conference will be held from 24-26 February 2020.
- The inaugural session will be held in the presence of Chief Ministers of all North Eastern states, Central Ministries, academia, civil society and international development organizations.
- The three-day event will see representations from the North Eastern states, Central Ministries, academia, civil society and international development organizations.
- This conclave is part of the NITI Aayog’s continuous efforts towards fostering partnerships at the sub-national level.
TODAY GK UPDATES for SSC CHSL Online Classes:
NITI Aayog – Formed: 1 January 2015; Preceding:Planning Commission (1950);
Chairperson: Narendra Modi; CEO:Amitabh Kant.
3. ICC bans Oman’s Yousuf Al Balushi
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has banned an Oman player from all formats of cricket for 7 years as he has broken four rules of the ICC Anti-Corruption Code.
- Yousuf Al Balushi, breached four codesaccording to the ICC’s information, that are:
- Article 2.1.1: Yousuf was found guilty of being a party to an accord to fix or manipulate the result, progress or any other part of matches during ICC World T20 Qualifiers 2019.
- Article 2.1.4: ICC said that Yousuf Abdulrahim Al Balushi tried to induce, encourage, entice, solicit or intentionally facilitate another player to breach ICC’s Article 2.1.
- Article 2.4.4: It was found that Yousuf failed to report the invitations that he received from other individuals to become a party for a match-fixing during the ICC World T20 Qualifiers 2019.
- Article 2.4.7: He was also found guilty of obstructing an investigation about possible corrupt conduct under the Code. He tampered information that may be valuable to the investigation.
TODAY GK UPDATES for IBPS clerk online classes:
ICC – Established:15 June 1909; Headquarters:Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Membership:104 members; Chairman:Shashank Manohar; CEO: India Manu Sawhney.
4. Central Excise Day
- Central Excise Day is celebrated on 24th February in India to recognize the contribution of the Central Board of Excise and Customs (at present Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs).
- The day is also observed to check corruption in goods manufacturing business as well as implement other rules to carry out the best possible excise services.
- The day marks the enactment of the Central Excise and Salt Act in 1944.
- The department of Central Board of Excise and Customs has been established in order to make and implement policies related to the tax payable and its collection by the people all through the country.
STATIC GK For SSC Online Classes:
CBEC is the nodal national agency of the Department of Revenue under the Union Ministry of Finance responsible for administering Customs, GST, Central Excise, Service Tax & Narcotics in India.
5. US surpasses China to become India’s top trading partner
- The United States has surpassed China to become India’s top trading partner showing greater economic ties between the two countries.
- According to the Commerce Ministry data, the bilateral trade between the US and India stood at nearly 88 billion dollars in 2018-19 fiscal. During the period, India’s trade with China was at 87.1 billion dollars.
- America is one of the few countries with which India has a trade surplus. On the other hand, India has a huge trade deficit with China.
- In 2018-19, India has a trade surplus of 16.9 billion dollars with America, while it has a deficit of 53.6 billion dollars with china.
STATIC GK For SSC CGL Online Classes:
The data showed that China was India’s top trading partner since 2013-14 till 2017-18.
6. Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi completes one year
- The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi popularly known as (PM-KISAN) scheme completes one year which Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched on 24th February 2019 at Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh.
- Government had started the scheme with a view to increase the income of farmers by offering income support to all landholding farmers’ families across India.
- Under the Scheme, an amount of 6000 rupees per year is transferred in three equal installments of 2000 rupees in every four months directly into the bank accounts of the farmers.
- The main purpose behind launching this scheme will help farmers in meeting their agricultural and domestic needs.
- As per latest data, government has released over Rs. 50850 crores till now under this scheme.
7. Katherine Johnson, legendary NASA mathematician, dies
- Katherine Johnson, an American mathematician, passed away at 101.
- Katherine was famous NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) mathematician who led the American space agency to a new height.
- Katherine was one of the first women scientists of NASA who helped humans to reach space.
- According to Katherine’s biography published by NASA, she was one of three black students selected to integrate West Virginia’s undergraduate colleges. She did the mapping of the moon before the 1969’s landing and helped to bring Apollo-13 astronauts back to the Earth.
- In 2015, the then US President Barack Obama awarded the ‘Presidential Medal of Freedom’ to Johnson.
- NASA named a building ‘Katherine G. Johnson Computational Research Facility’ in 2017 in honour of Katherine Johnson.
- Katherine’s story was seen in the Hollywood film ‘Hidden Figures’ in 2016.
TODAY GK UPDATES for IBPS PO online classes:
NASA – Formed:July 29, 1958; Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States.