Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS – 29TH JAN 2020 – GK TODAY
1. Sunil Mehta takes over as Chief Executive of Indian Banks’ Association
- Sunil Mehta took over as Chief Executive Officer of the Indian Banks Association succeeding V G Kannan, who stepped down on December 31, 2019.
- Sunil Mehta was heading Punjab National Bank (PNB) as an MD & CEO and while serving PNB, he was also appointed as a chairman of IBA in 2018-19.
- The term of the CEO of IBA is for three years while the chairman term is for only one year.
STATIC GK for SSC Online Classes:
IBA – the representative body of the India’s banking sector and works for the development of the banking industry.
Headquarters location: Mumbai; Founded: 26 September 1946.
2. West Bengal becomes 4th state to pass resolution demanding scrapping of CAA
- The West Bengal state government had introduced the resolution in the state assembly becoming the 4th State to demand that the controversial CAA law be repealed and NPR, NRC be withdrawn.
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee stated that the CAA law is “against the Constitution and humanity”.
- The other three states include Kerala, Punjab and Rajasthan.
- The Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) allows non-Muslim illegal migrants who came to India on or before December 31, 2014 to escape religious persecution in Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan to gain Indian citizenship.
- However, according to the critics, the bill violates the secular fabric of the Indian constitution by discriminating on the basis of religion that has led to protests across the nation.
STATIC GK for SBI Clerk online classes :
Kerala – was the 1st state to pass a resolution on December 31, 2019 demanding the withdrawal of the CAA law.
Punjab – the 2nd state to pass an anti-CAA resolution on January 17, 2020.
Rajasthan – the 3rd state to oppose the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) on January 25, 2020.
3. Biggest DefExpo 2020 to take place in Lucknow
- The Defence Expo 2020 in Uttar Pradesh’s Lucknow city is going to be held from February 5 to 9, 2020; has reached 1,000.by far the biggest expo.
- The event is expected to be inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi and it will be attended by the Defence Ministry officials and armed forces led by the Chief of Defence Staff and the three services chiefs.
- The Event will also be attended by major defence manufacturing countries including the US, Russia, France, Germany and the United Kingdom.
- The number of international companies confirming their presence at the expo has also gone up as compared to previous expos.
- In the DefExpo 2018, held in Chennai, 702 companies had participated.
- Thus, it has become by far the biggest ever DefExpo to be held in India.
4. Andhra cabinet approves abolition of legislative council
- The Andhra Pradesh cabinet unanimously passed a resolution to abolish the legislative council after its chairman referred the three-capital Bill to the select committee on discretionary powers.
- The bills were related to the government’s plan of having three different capitals for the state- Legislative, judicial and executive capitals.
- The assembly had on discussed the happenings that took place in council in the last two days.
- Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy asked the Speaker to allow a discussion on whether there was any need to let the council continue to exist, or whether it could be abolished.
- The Legislative Council may be dissolved for other reasons but not for the reason that it sent the bills to a select committee.
STATIC GK for SSC CGL Online Classes:
Assam was the first state to abolish its state legislative council. The state passed a resolution for the same in 1947.
The state legislative council of Andhra Pradesh was also abolished previously in 1985 and was revived again in 2006.
5. Lala Lajpat Rai Birth Anniversary: 28 January
- The year 2020 marks the 155th birth anniversary of Lala Lajpat Rai, one of the greatest freedom fighters of India.
- His ideology of nationalism and zealous patriotism earned him the title, ‘Punjab Kesari’ and ‘Lion of Punjab’.
- He was part of the famous trio Lal Bal Pal, who advocated the Swadeshi movement in India, involving the boycott of all imported goods and the use of Indian made goods.
- He also initiated the foundation of Punjab National Bank.
- Lala Lajpat Rai was born on January 28, 1865, in a Jain Punjabi family in Dhudikae village of Punjab’s Moga district.
- He died from a heart attack after not recovering from injuries received during a police lathi-charge, while protesting the arrival of Simon Commission.
- Lala Lajpat Rai left behind a legacy of nationalism, unity and strength.
6. Grammy Awards 2020 announced
Key highlights of The 62nd Annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles:-
- The show was hosted by Singer-songwriter Alicia Keys.
- Record of the Year: “Bad Guy” by Billie Eilish.
- Song of the Year: “Bad Guy” by Billie Eilish & Finneas O’Connell, songwriters (Billie Eilish).
- Best New Artist: Billie Eilish.
- Best Pop Solo Performance: “Truth Hurts” by Lizzo.
- Best Music Film: “Homecoming” by Beyonce.
- Album of The Year: when we all fall asleep, where do we go? by Billie Eilish.
- Best Country Album: “While I’m Livin” by Tanya Tucker.
STATIC GK for SBI Clerk online classes :
The GRAMMY is the music industry’s highest hono