Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs – 8 Sep 2020 : GKToday Updates
1. UNICEF to lead the global procurement and supply of COVID-19 vaccine
- The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has announced that it will be leading the global procurement and supply of the COVID-19 vaccine in order to ensure that all the countries have safe, equitable, and fast access to the initial doses when they are available.
- This will possibly be the world’s largest and fastest ever operation of its kind.
- UNICEF is the world’s largest single buyer of vaccines for diseases like polio and measles and procures over 2 billion doses on behalf of nearly 100 countries each year.
- UNICEF is among the most recognizable and widespread social welfare organizations in the world with a presence in 192 countries.
Static GK for Online coaching for ssc cgl:
UNICEF or the United Nations Children’s Fund is a United Nations agency responsible for providing humanitarian and developmental aid to children worldwide.
Headquarters: New York, United States
2. RBI announces special OMO for purchase, sale of Rs 10,000 cr G-Secs on Sept 10
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said that it will simultaneously purchase and sell government securities under Open Market Operation (OMO) for an aggregate amount of Rs 10,000 crore on September 10.
- This is the first tranche of such purchase and sale to the tune of Rs 20,000 crore, under the relaunched “Operation Twist” wherein the central bank will conduct such simultaneous auctions of sale of long-dated securities, and purchase of those maturing in the near term.
- RBI said the auctions would be conducted on September 10 and 17, and added it remains committed to conduct further such operations as warranted by the market conditions.
GKToday Updates Online Bank Coaching:
The Reserve Bank of India is India’s central bank, which controls the issue and supply of the Indian rupee. RBI is the regulator of the entire Banking in India.
Governor: Shaktikanta Das
3. odafone Idea rebrands itself as ‘Vi’, unveils new logo
- Vodafone Idea announced its new unified brand identity by renaming all its products under a new name and logo “Vi”.
- The announcement was made by the telco’s MD and CEO Ravinder Takkar.
- Vodafone Idea’s move comes after the Supreme Court last week allowed the telecom companies to stagger their payments of the adjusted gross revenue (AGR) dues over the next 10 years.
- The rebranding also comes at a time when Vodafone Idea has seen its user base falling from 408 million when the merger took place to 280 million at the end of June 2020.
3. 35th FAO Regional Conference for Asia and the Pacific (APRC) held
- The 35th Session of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Regional Conference for Asia and the Pacific (APRC), was held in virtual format due to the global COVID-19 pandemic. The Conference was held under the Chair of the Host Country, Bhutan.
- The conference focused on regional priorities and issues such as COVID 19, the state of agriculture, natural resources management, food security and nutrition.
- The Union Minister of State for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Parshottam Rupala represented India in the conference.
GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching:
The Regional Conference is held once every two years. The first regional conference was held in Bangalore, India, in 1953.
4. Whatsapp partners with Cyber Peace Foundation to drive cyber safety awareness
- Whatsapp announced a strategic partnership with Cyber Peace Foundation with the aim to create awareness on cyber safety among students.
- This is an effort to build on their earlier partnership with Whatsapp under the “e-Raksha” program that reached thousands of students.
- With the collaboration, the platforms aim to reach nearly 15,000 students across five states including Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, and Maharashtra by the end of 2020.
- The need for this awareness campaign was felt as students spend more time online and so they become more vulnerable to cyber threats such as cyber bullying, child abuse material, the spread of misinformation, privacy issues etc.
Whatsapp Messenger is an American freeware, cross-platform messaging and Voice over IP service owned by Facebook, Inc. It allows users to send text messages and voice messages, make voice and video calls, and share images, documents, user locations, and other media.
5. International Literacy Day: 8th Sept
- International Literacy Day is observed on 8th September every year to highlight the importance of literacy and raise awareness for literacy problems.
- According to a report based on National Statistical Office (NSO) survey, Kerala has once again emerged as the most literate state (96.2%) in India, while Andhra Pradesh featured at the bottom.
- International Literacy Day (ILD) 2020 will focus on ‘Literacy teaching and learning in the COVID-19 crisis and beyond’ with a focus on the role of educators and changing pedagogies.
GKToday Updates For Online banking classes:
This day was declared by UNESCO on 26th October 1966 at the 14th Session of UNESCO’s General Conference.