Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS – 9th June 2020 : GK UPDATES
1. IIT, Hyderabad researchers develops low cost and Artificial Intelligence-based test kit for COVID-19
- Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology-Hyderabad have developed a low cost and Artificial Intelligence-based test kit for COVID-19.
- These kits can give results in about 20 minutes. The test kits are Reverse Tranion Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) free and get rid of many processes.
- The cost of COVID testing with these IIT-H Biochips will be around 600 rupees and can be almost halved in case of mass production of the chips. These kits can be transported to rural areas as they are very light and helpful to increase the testing for COVID-19 in the country.
2. Census-NPR may be pushed to 2021 due to COVID-19
- Census houselisting and NPR operations that were scheduled to be held during April-September 2020 can be rescheduled for April 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- As per the current guidelines, the Census 2021 was to be held in two phases but considering the COVID-19 outbreak in the country, some experts have mentioned that reworking of census timelines might be inevitable.
- As per the experts, the rescheduling of census data is essential for maintaining the convenience and operational sanctity to ensure the acceptability of demographic data and integrity since it is an exercise with huge statutory implications.
3. New Zealand declares itself COVID-free
- New Zealand declared itself COVID-free on June 8, 2020 after the recovery of its last coronavirus patient.
- With this, the nation will be lifting all restrictions imposed to contain the virus including social distancing and restrictions on public gatherings.
- New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern while making the announcement stated that the nation will now move to the lowest level of its four-tier virus response system- level 1 from midnight but will continue to have strict border controls, which means that the nation’s borders will remain closed.
4. CSIR, AIM join hands to promote culture of innovation, entrepreneurship
- Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) has partnered with Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) to promote innovation in India. AIM is a Government of India flagship initiative that promotes a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship in the country.
- Both organizations have signed a letter of intent to boost the innovation ecosystem of the country. The partnership will support world class start-ups through CSIR Incubators under the Atal Innovation mission initiatives.
- They will jointly work on new models of innovation and will also set-up CSIR Innovation Parks.
5. M Nethra declared as ‘Goodwill Ambassador for the Poor’ by UNADAP
- A 13-year old girl from Tamil Nadu, M Nethra has been appointed as the ‘Goodwill Ambassador for the Poor’ by the United Nations Association for Development and Peace (UNADAP).
- The UNADAP recognition brings to the girl the opportunity to address the upcoming Civil Society forums at the UN conferences in New York and Geneva. The Dixon Scholarship has awarded Nethra a scholarship amount of Rs 1,00,000.
- The 13-year old girl convinced her father to spend their savings of Rs 5 lakh and donate essential items to the poor during the lockdown. The money had been saved for Nethra’s education and for her to pursue her goal of entering the civil service.
World Ocean Day: 8th June
- World Ocean Day is observed globally on 8th June every year.
- This day is observed to raise global awareness about the importance of the ocean in our lives and the ways through which we can protect it.
- The theme of UN World Oceans Day 2020 is “Innovation for a Sustainable Ocean.”
The government of Canada had proposed the concept of World Ocean Day, at the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro in 1992.