Get Updated Test Series on Takshila Learning
Current Affairs 30th Sep 2019 & Daily GK Update In English
1. International Astronomical Union names asteroid after Pandit Jasraj
- The International Astronomical Union (IAU) has named an asteroid after Indian classical singer Pandit Jasraj. The asteroid formally known as a minor planet, is located between Mars and Jupiter.
- It was discovered on November 11, 2006, by the Catalina Sky Survey. The privilege of naming a planet is first given to discoverers, who have 10 years to propose a name.
- Sangeet Martand Pandit Jasraj is an exponent of Indian classical vocal music. Jasraj is the recipient of numerous awards, honours, and titles, including the prestigious Padma Vibhushan and the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award.
2. Suresh Chitturi appointed International Egg Commission chief
- Suresh Chitturi, Vice Chairman and Managing Director of India’s leading poultry firm Srinivasa Farms, has been appointed as chairman of the International Egg Commission(IEC) for the next two years.
- The appointment was made at the IEC Global Leadership Conference in Copenhagen in Denmark.
- He will be the first chair from Asia in the history of the institution, as he assumes the role of the Chairman of IEC.
Daily GK Updates for IBPS Clerk Online Classes:
- International Egg Commission(IEC) Founded: 1964.
- International Egg Commission(IEC) Headquarters: United Kingdom.
3. Tapan Mishra honoured with the National Tourism Award
- Odisha’s Tapan Kumar Mishra has been honoured with the National Tourism Award for the Category of “Best Tourist Guide” for the year 2017-18 during celebration of the World Tourism Day.
- He is a freelance Tourist Guide approved by the Union Ministry of Tourism.
- Tapan Kumar Mishra has the rarest achievement of accompanying a single Belgian tourist for 965 days in a span of 8 years in which he has covered 26 States out of which 15 states twice on road from Odisha covering more than one lakh km.
4. Kallie Puri awarded with “India’s Most Powerful Women in Media”
- India’s Kallie Puri has been awarded with “India’s Most Powerful Women in Media” award at the famed Confluence Excellence Awards.
- She received the prestigious award at the British Parliament. She is the Vice-Chairperson of the India Today Group.
5. Documentary on Real Kashmir FC nominated for BAFTA Awards
- A documentary on Srinagar-based football club Real Kashmir FC has nominated in the prestigious British Academy Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Awards.
- The documentary, aired by BBC Scotland earlier this year on the journey of former Rangers ace David Robertson at the helm of Real Kashmir FC, has been nominated in two categories.
- Its director Greg Clark has picked up a nod for the ‘Director Factual’ category, while the show will battle it out in the ‘Single Documentary’ category.
6. Thanu Padmanabhan gets MP Birla Memorial Award
- Physicist Thanu Padmanabhan received the M P Birla Memorial Award 2019 for his contributions to the world of cosmology.
- He is a professor of Inter-university Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics in Pune.
- The award was introduced in 1993 in recognition to the excellence in research in Astronomy, Astrophysics, Space Science and related areas.
7. INDO-KAZAKHSTAN Joint Military Exercise KAZIND 2019
- Joint Military Exercise KAZIND-2019 between India and Kazakhstan will be conducted at Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand.
- The exercise will comprise of nearly 100 soldiers from both Indian and Kazakhstan Army who would be sharing their experience gained during conduct of various counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations in the past.
- Exercise KAZIND-2019 is the 4th edition of an annual event which is conducted alternatively in Kazakhstan and India.
- The aim of this exercise is to conduct company level joint training with an emphasis on counter-terrorism operations in mountainous terrain.
- During the exercise, aspects of emerging trends of global terrorism and hybrid warfare have also been included. The joint military exercise will enhance the level of defence cooperation further fostering bilateral relations between the two nations.
Daily GK Updates Online coaching for SSC :
- Kazakhstan PM: Askar Mamin, Capital: Nur-Sultan, Currency: Kazakhstani Tenge.
8. 31st International Conference on Sindh held in London
- The World Sindhi Congress (WSC) hosted a 31st international conference on Sindh in London.
- In WSC the participants highlighted issues such as enforced disappearances of activists, human rights violations and forced conversion of religious minorities in Pakistan.
- The 31st International Conference on Sindh slammed Pakistan over its failure to respect democratic rights and curbs on by the country’s military and called on the need to tackle growing religious extremism.
Daily GK Updates for IBPS Clerk Online Classes:
- Chairman of World Sindhi Congress: Rubina Shaikh.
9. 7th World Hindu Economic Forum (WHEF) 2019 held in Mumbai, Maharashtra
- 7th World Hindu Economic Forum (WHEF) 2019 held in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- The theme of (WHEF) 2019 “Prosperous Society: Stronger Society” to bring together financially successful members in Hindu society such as traders, bankers, technocrats, investors, industrialists to share business knowledge, expertise and resources with their fellow brethren.
- The World Hindu Economic Forum has earlier been organised in London, Chicago, Losa Angeles, Hong Kong, and Nairobi.
Daily GK Updates for IBPS PO Online Classes:
- Maharashtra CM: Devendra Fadnavis, Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari, Capital: Mumbai.
10. Aryna Sabalenka wins WTA Wuhan Open
- Aryna Sabalenka has won the WTA Wuhan Open held in Wuhan, China.
- She became the first player to claim back-to-back titles in Wuhan. She defeated American Alison Riske in the summit clash by 6-3, 3-6, 6-1.
- She has also joined Petra Kvitova as the only two-time Wuhan Open champion.
11. Sumit Nagal wins title at ATP Challenger Tournament
- Indian tennis player Sumit Nagal has won the men’s singles title at the ATP Challenger Tournament held in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- He defeated Argentina’s Facundo Bognis by 6-4, 6-2 to win the title. It was Sumit’s second Challenger title of his career, following the triumph in the Bengaluru Challenger event in 2017.
- He jumped of 26 spots to achieve a career-best ranking of 135.
12. Veteran actor Viju Khote best known as Kalia from Sholay passes away
- Veteran Bollywood actor Viju Khote passed away. The actor best is remembered for his role as Kalia in the cult classic Sholay. He worked in over 300 Hindi and Marathi films. He has been working in film since 1964. Apart from Sholay, he was remembered for his roles in films like Andaz Apna Apna, in which he starred as Robert.
13. Former Foreign Secretary KPS Menon (Junior) passes away
- Former diplomat KPS Menon (junior) passed away. He was a 1951 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer.
- He had served as the Foreign Secretary of India from 1987 to 1989. He served as an ambassador to various countries, including Bangladesh, Egypt, Japan and China.
14. International Day for Universal Access to Information: 28 September
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) observes International Day for Universal Access to Information (IDUAI) on 28 September every year. The IDUAI has particular relevance with Agenda 2030 with specific reference to:
- SDG 2 on investment in rural infrastructure and technology development
- SDG 11 on positive economic, social and environmental links between urban, peri-urban and rural areas
- SDG 16 on initiatives to adopt and implement constitutional, statutory and/or policy guarantees for public access to information
- The theme of this year’s celebration: Leaving No One Behind!
- UNESCO is commemorating the International Day for Universal Access to Information with a series of ‘Open Talks’ to be held in Lima, Peru.
15. World Rabies Day: 28 September
- The World Health Organization observes World Rabies Day on 28 September every year.
- The day is celebrated annually to raise awareness about rabies prevention and to highlight progress in defeating this horrifying disease.
- The day also marks the anniversary of Louis Pasteur’s death, the French chemist and microbiologist, who developed the first rabies vaccine.
Daily GK Updates for SBI Clerk Online Classes:
- WHO Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland; Director general: Tedros Adhanom.
16. International Translation Day: 30 September
- The United Nations observes International Translation Day on 30 September every year.
- International Translation Day is meant as an opportunity to pay tribute to the work of language professionals, which plays an important role in bringing nations together, facilitating dialogue, understanding and cooperation, contributing to development and strengthening world peace and security.
- On 24 May 2017, the General Assembly adopted resolution 71/288 on the role of language professionals in connecting nations and fostering peace, understanding and development, and declared 30 September as International Translation Day.
17. World Heart Day 2019 observed on September 2
- World Heart Day (WHD) was observed annually on 29 September across the world.
- The day which is celebrated annually creates awareness of Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) including heart disease & stroke and highlights the preventive and control measures.
- It was launched in 2000 by the World Heart Federation as an annual event. The theme for the World Heart Day 2019 is “My Heart, Your Heart”.
18. Nepal Rastra Bank issues commemorative coins on 550th Birth Anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev
- The Governor of Nepal Rastra Bank (NRB), Dr Chiranjibi Nepal & Indian Ambassador Manjeev Singh Puri have jointly released three coins (100, 1000 and 2500 Nepali rupees) bearing the Sikh symbol to commemorate the 550th Birth Anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev.
- A book titled “Sikh Heritage of Nepal” based on the Sikh heritage of Nepal was also launched in the program. This book has been published by BP Koirala India-Nepal Foundation in association with the Indian Embassy in Nepal.
Daily GK Updates for IBPS Clerk Online Classes:
- Nepal Prime Minister: K P Sharma Oli; Capital: Kathmandu.
- President of Nepal: Bidhya Devi Bhandari; Currency of Nepal: Nepalese rupee.