Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily GK Update 8 & 9 Feb – Today Current Affairs
1. NASA astronaut Christina Koch returns to Earth after record-setting 328 days stay in space
- NASA’s astronaut Christina Koch returned from space to Earth safely after an 11-month mission, breaking the world record for the most time spent by a woman in space.
- Koch has spent 328 days on International Space Station ISS, surpassing the previous record of 289 days held by fellow American Peggy Whitson.
- Koch’s medical data will be especially valuable to NASA scientists as the agency draws up plans for a long-duration manned mission to Mars.
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration is an independent agency of the United States Federal Government responsible for the civilian space program, as well as aeronautics and aerospace research.
NASA Headquarters: Washington D.C., United States
Founded: 29 July 1958, United States
2. India ranks 40 out of 53 countries on global Intellectual Property index
- India slipped to 40th position on the International Intellectual Property (IP) Index, which analyses the IP climate in 53 global economies. Last year India was ranked at 36th position out of 50 countries.
- The US, the UK, Sweden, France and Germany remained the top five economies on the intellectual property index in 2019 retaining their spots from the last year.
3. PM Modi sets target of 5 billion dollars for defence exports in next five years
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said that his government has set a defence export target of 5 billion dollars in the next five years.
- The export of defence equipment from India was about 2,000 crore rupees. In the last 2 years, it has gone up to 17,000 crore rupees.
- The eleventh edition of the mega defence event held in Lucknow with the theme “India: The Emerging Defence Manufacturing Hub”. The five-day DefExpo is being attended by 38 defence ministers and top executives of 172 foreign defence majors and 856 Indian companies.
4. RBI keeps repo rate, reverse repo rate unchanged
- The policy repo rate remains unchanged at 5.15 percent under the Liquidity Adjustment Facility (LAF).
- Consequently, the reverse repo rate under the LAF remains unchanged at 4.90 percent and the Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate at 5.40 per cent.
- The RBI’s six-member monetary policy committee (MPC) voted six-zero in favour of the status quo of interest rates. At the same time, the central bank maintained an accommodative stance to support growth.
The Reserve Bank of India is India’s central bank, which controls the issue and supply of the Indian rupee. RBI is the regulator of entire Banking in India. RBI plays an important part in the Development Strategy of the Government of India.
Headquarter: Mumbai, Founded: 1 April 1935, Kolkata
Governor: Shaktikanta Das
5. Hollywood veteran actor Kirk Douglas passes away in US
- Hollywood legend and veteran actor Kirk Douglas passed away in Beverly Hills, California in the US. Douglas was prolific as a film actor, with more than 90 credits to his name – ranging over six decades from the 1940s to the 2000s.
- He is perhaps best-known for his role as Spartacus, a Stanley Kubrick classic which won four Oscars and was so popular that its iconic “I am Spartacus” scene entered the pop culture lexicon.
6. Govt has set target of installation of 100 Giga Watt solar power by Dec 2022
- The Government has set a target of installation of 100 Giga Watt solar power and 60 Giga Watt wind power capacity in the country by December 2022. Majority of solar power projects are installed with private investments.
- Grid connected solar power capacity of over 33 thousand seven hundred megawatt has been installed in the country till 31st December last year. Over 37 thousand five hundred megawatt of wind power was also installed till the end of last year.
7. Vietnam’s Vice President to visit India from 11th February
- Vice President of Vietnam Dang Thai Ngoc Thinh would be on an official visit to India from 11th to 13th of this month. She will hold delegation-level talks with Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu and call on President Ram Nath Kovind.
- During the visit, the direct flight between India and Vietnam would be announced. The visiting dignitary is also scheduled to visit Bodh Gaya.
Vietnam Capital: Hanoi
Currency: Vietnamese dong