Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
GKToday : 19th May Current Affairs – Daily GK Updates
1. Centre launched ‘NMIS’ to track movement of migrants
– The central government has launched the ‘National Migration Information System’ to facilitate the smooth movement of migrant workers travelling across the country.
– The online dashboard has been developed by National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) on the existing NDMA-GIS portal. It will help in capturing the information regarding the movement of workers who have been stranded in different states.
– The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has informed the states to upload data on NMIS to ensure better coordination, contact tracing, and movement monitoring of the migrant workers.
2. At WHO, India joins 61 nations to seek source of coronavirus
– India is among 62 countries that have moved a proposal at the World Health Assembly to “identify the zoonotic source” of the coronavirus. China and the US are not part of the resolution.
– The proposal is part of a seven-page draft resolution moved by 35 countries and the 27-member European Union, and is likely to be taken up at the Assembly, which is the decision-making body of the WHO.
– `The resolution is being backed by three of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council – UK, Russia and France along with Japan, Australia, South Korea, New Zealand, South Africa and Turkey, among others.
Today GK Updates for SSC CHSL Exams
The World Health Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for international public health. The WHO Constitution, which establishes the agency’s governing structure and principles, states its main objective as “the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health.
3. ‘One In A Million’: Super Earth Found 25,000 Light Years Away From Our Planet
– The Astronomers from the University of Canterbury in New Zealand have found a new planet in the galaxy that bears several similarities to our planet Earth. The planet is reportedly called ‘One In A Million planet’, as mankind has always been searching for a planet similar to Earth.
– However, as per their observations, the planet is huge and bigger in comparison to our planet. The planet takes around 617 Earth days to complete a full orbit around its host star. The Super-Earth is significantly larger than Earth and can be considered to be as big as Neptune.
– The distance between the newly found alien planet and the host star is similar to between where Earth and Venus orbit around the sun. It is unclear if the planet can host any type of life as the temperature of its star is unknown.
4. Remaining CBSE examination for class 10th and 12th to be held from 1st July
– The Central Board of Secondary Education released date sheet for Class 12th board examinations for the remaining papers.
– It also released date sheet for the re-scheduled board examinations of Class 10th for North-East Delhi. The examinations will be conducted between 1st of July to 15th July this year.
– The CBSE has also issued instructions asking students to carry their own sanitizer bottles and wear mask and follow social distancing norms during the examinations. Parents will ensure that their ward is not sick.
5. ICMR issues revised strategy for testing
Indian Council of Medical Research has released a revised strategy for COVID -19 testing. All symptomatic individuals with history of international travel in the last 14 days will be tested. All symptomatic contacts of laboratory confirmed cases will be tested.
According to the ICMR strategy, COVID-19 testing will be done of all symptomatic healthcare workers and front line workers involved in containment and mitigation of COVID-19. All patients of Severe Acute Respiratory Infection will also be tested.
Besides, asymptomatic direct and high risk contacts of a confirmed case will be tested once between Day 5 and Day 10 of coming into contact.
Today GK Updates for SSC CGL Exams
The Indian Council of Medical Research, the apex body in India for the formulation, coordination and promotion of biomedical research, is one of the oldest and largest medical research bodies in the world.
Headquarters: New Delhi
Secretary & Director General: Dr. Balram Bhargava
6. International Museum Day: 18 May
– International Museum Day 2020 is celebrated every year on 18 May. Every year, all the museums across the globe are invited to participate in the International museum day to promote the role of museums.
– The day provides the opportunity for museum professionals to meet the public and alert them as to the challenges that museums face. International Museum Day serves as a platform to raise public awareness on the role museums play in the development of society today, on an international level.
– The theme for International Museum Day 2020 is Museums for Equality: Diversity and Inclusion.