Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
GKToday Updates : 29 October 2020 Daily Current Affairs
1. Regular International flights to remain suspended till Nov 30
- The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) announced that the suspension on scheduled international commercial passenger services to and from India has been extended till Nov 30.
- The DGCA had earlier extended the ban on scheduled international commercial passenger services to and from India till October 31.
- However, special international passenger flights and cargo flights approved by the government will continue to operate.
- India has signed an Air Bubble agreement with various countries to allow international scheduled flights on selected routes on case to case basis.
2. India hosts 19th Meeting of SCO Ministers of Foreign Economy & Foreign Trade
- India hosted the 19th Meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Ministers of Foreign Economy and Foreign Trade.
- In his opening remarks, Minister of Commerce and Industry; Piyush Goyal said the current crisis due to Covid-19 is a wakeup call to the SCO countries to leverage the economic strength and explore partnerships that enhance trade and investment in the region.
- He said cooperation should be continued to enhance intra-SCO trade and investment which would be critical in ensuring the speedy recovery from the aftermath of the pandemic.
- In the meeting four documents were adopted.
GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching:
The virtual meeting was attended by the Secretary General of SCO and Ministers from, Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
3. India Post, US Postal Service sign agreement for electronic exchange of customs data
- Department of Posts and United States Postal Service (USPS) have entered into an agreement for electronic exchange of customs data related to postal shipments exchanged between the two countries.
- The agreement will make it possible to transmit and receive electronic data of international postal items prior to their physical arrival at the destination and would enable customs clearance of postal items in advance in line with the evolving global postal framework. This will also improve the performance of postal services in terms of reliability, visibility and security.
- USA is the top export destination for India which is also reflected in exchange of goods through postal channel.
4. FM Nirmala Sitharaman participates in 10th India-UK Economic & Financial Dialogue
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman participated in the 10th India-UK Economic and Financial Dialogue on global responses to coronavirus through Video Conferencing in New Delhi.
- Speaking on the occasion, Mrs Sitharaman said, India-UK economic ties are important, as together they are two of the world’s top seven economies with a combined GDP of over five trillion dollar.
- She said, the trade between the two countries has more than doubled since 2007, with bilateral investment supporting over half a million jobs across both countries.
- The session on sharing of experiences on Covid response & policies for economic recovery will help both countries refine their policies.
GKToday Updates For Online bank coaching:
UK Capital: London; Prime Minister: Boris Johnson
5. GHE wins UN Global Climate Action Award to combat climate change amid COVID-19
- The Global Himalayan Expedition (GHE) has won the prestigious 2020 UN Global Climate Action Award for its efforts to tackle climate change amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- GHE is an Indian organization that leverages technology and tourism in order to help remote communities access solar energy.
- It conducts ‘Impacts Expeditions’ to the Himalayan villages in remote areas.
- Till date, the organisation has solar electrified more than 131 villages in three regions of India which has directly impacted the lives of more than 60,000 villagers.
GKToday Updates For Online banking classes:
The United Nations is an intergovernmental organization that aims to maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations, achieve international cooperation, and be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations.
Secretary General: António Guterres; Headquarters: New York, United States