Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Today GK Updates & Daily Current Affairs – 22 Feb 2020
1. Goldmines found in Sonbhadra, UP
- Geologists have confirmed two goldmines with 3,350 tonnes (approx) of gold ore found in the Naxal-affected Sonbhadra district of Uttar Pradesh which is almost five times the gold reserves of India.
- However, this discovery took place nearly two decades ago, but the final estimation and demarcation process of this mine was completed recently.
- Sonbhadra goldmine is sufficient to fulfill global gold demand for 8-9 months. It will also reduce India’s gold import from foreign countries and will satisfy the Indian market’s gold demand for the next few years.
- According to the World Gold Council Report, India currently has 618.2 tonnes of gold in its reserves that accounts for 6.6 percent of gold in total foreign reserves.
TODAY GK UPDATES for SSC CHSL Online Classes:
India is at number 9 in the world in terms of gold storage. And is the largest importer of gold in the world.
2. CPCB identifies 60 pollution river stretches in northeastern states
- The Central Pollution Board (CPCB) has identified 60 pollution river stretches based on Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD) in different northeastern states according to the statement published by Delhi based Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) revealed the study.
- The polluted river stretches in the northeastern states are Bharalu, Basistha, Kolong, Boko and Kopili in Assam; Wahumkhrah, Umshyrpi, Waikhyrwi, Rawaka, Kmai-um, Um-Mynkseh, Umpai, Mynkseh and Sarbang in Meghalaya; Nambul and Kongba in Manipur; Chite in Mizioram; Dhansiri in Nagaland and Gumti in Tripura, according to the report.
- The study found out that the discharge of industrial and mining effluent and dumping of waste has been identified as the major causes of pollution of these stretches, which are mostly located near towns and cities.
- The report further said that more than 60% of the country’s sewage is released into the streams and rivers untreated. Consequently, half of the rivers in the country is now polluted with the Ganga, Sabarmati, and Yamuna being the most polluted.
- It also said India stands a poor 120th among 122 countries on the Water Quality Index based on the availability of clean and sufficient water.
TODAY GK UPDATES for IBPS clerk online classes:
CPCB is a statutory organisation under the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change. Founded: 22 September 1974; Headquarters: New Delhi; Chairperson:S.P. Singh Parihar.
3.Sindhu, Saurabh win top honours at 2019 ESPN India Awards
- World champion shuttlerP V Sindhu won the ESPN’s Female Sportsperson of the Year award for a third consecutive time while Last year’s best emerging athlete, shooter Saurabh Chaudhary, won the Sportsperson of the Year (Male) award.
- Her victory against Japan’s NozomiOkuhara, which made her the first Indian to have claimed the World Championships in badminton, was chosen as Moment of the Year.
- Lifetime achievement goes to three-time Olympic gold medallist and former Indian hockey captain Balbir Singh Sr., who starred in India’s wins in London (1948), Helsinki (1952) and Melbourne (1956)
- Sprinter Dutee Chand became the first winner of the Courage award for being inspirational both on and off the field.
- Ace chess player Koneru Humpy won the award for the Comeback of the Year.
- Wrestler Deepak Punia bagged coveted ESPN’s Emerging Sports Person of the Year award.
- Chief National Badminton Coach PullelaGopichand claimed the Coach of the Year award.
STATIC GK For SSC Online Classes:
The ESPN.in Awards recognize the best individual and team performances in Indian sport on a calendar-year basis.
Headquarters: Bristol, Connecticut, United States; Founded: 14 July 1978; President: James Pitaro.
4. CSIR tops scientific research institutional ranking
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has been ranked first in the Nature Ranking Index-2020with 142 counts (C) and a share percentage (SP) of 87.74
- About 4600 scientists are actively involved in CSIR’s 38 laboratories across the country, supported by about 8000 scientific and technical personnel.
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore, has been ranked second and the third place in India is secured by Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR-Mumbai).
- The rankings are based on total research output which the institutions have carried out from December 01, 2018 to 30th November, 2019.
- The top subjects so associated with the research work include: Earth and Environmental Sciences, Physical Science, Chemistry and Life Sciences.
- HomiBhabha National Institute (HBNI), Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT Bombay), Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT Madras), Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS), Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Kolkata (IISER Kolkata), Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IIT Guwahati), Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Pune (IISER Pune) are among other institutions that have been ranked in the list.
STATIC GK For IBPS PO 2020:
CSIR – Established: September 1942; President:PM Narendra Modi;
Vice President: Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences, Health & Family Welfare.
5. Shyama Prasad Mukherji National Rurban Mission completes four years
- Shyama Prasad Mukherji National Rurban Mission (SPMRM) completed its four years.
- The mission was launched by the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi on February 21, 2016 with a mission to bring about comprehensive changes in rural areas that have reached the threshold of development.
- The SPMR mission identifies rural clusters across the country where increasing signs of urbanization such as increased urban density, higher levels of non-agricultural employment, increased economic activity and other signs of urbanization are found.
- This mission has two components related to funding or finance: (1) Modified funds through various Central Sector Schemes, Centrally Sponsored Schemes, State Sector / Sponsored Schemes / Programs, CSR Funds, (2) Critical Gap Funds (CGF).
STATIC GK For SSC CGL Exams:
The ‘Rurban Cluster’ is a cluster of villages geographically adjacent to each other with a population of about 25,000 to 50,000 in the plains and coastal areas and 5,000 to 15,000 in the desert, hilly or tribal areas.
6. First Khelo India University Games to be held in Bhuwaneshwar
- The first Khelo India University Games is to be held in Bhuwaneshwar, Odisha, organized by Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- The game is to be launched by PM Modi through video conferencing.
- More than 3400 athletes in 17 disciplines and from 159 Universities are to participate in the game.
- It includes athletics, archery, fencing, boxing, hudo, weight lifting, swimming, badminton, wrestling, basketball, hockey, football, tennis, table tennis, rugby, volley ball, Kabaddi.
- While, the Khelo India University Games are being launched for the first time in the country, Khelo India School games were launched in 2018 and have been conducted annually in the month of January-February since then.
STATIC GK For Bank Exams preparation:
Khelo India Youth Games (KIYG), formerly Khelo India School Games (KISG) are the national level multidisciplinary grassroot games in India held for two categories, namely under-17 years school students and under-21 college students; First event: 2018.