Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Today GK Updates – 22nd April 2020 Daily Current Affairs
1. 15th Finance Commission to assess implications of COVID-19 on GDP growth
– The Economic Advisory Council of the Fifteenth Finance Commission will meet this month to discuss implications of the COVID-19 pandemic on GDP growth.
– The council members will meet on 23rd and 24th of this month through online medium which will be presided over by Chairman of the Commission, N. K. Singh.
– The members would also be discussing on the possible assumptions for tax buoyancy and revenue in the current and next financial year. Discussion on public expenditure fillip to shore up the economy would also be on the agenda.
2. New Development Bank’s to provide 1 billion dollar emergency assistance to India
– Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman appreciated the efforts of New Development Bank on fast tracking of financial assistance of about five billion dollars to BRICS countries including Emergency Assistance of one billion dollar to India to combat COVID-19 pandemic.
– The NDB was established by the BRICS countries -Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa in 2014. NDB has so far approved 14 Indian projects for an amount of 4,183 million dollar.
– The purpose of the Bank is to mobilise resources for infrastructure and sustainable development projects in BRICS and other emerging market economies.
2. US President to temporarily suspend immigration to US amid COVID-19 outbreak
– US President Donald Trump announced that he will be signing an executive order to temporarily suspend immigration into the United States.
– Trump made the announcement on Twitter. He tweeted saying that the decision has been taken in light of the attack from the invisible enemy and to protect the jobs of the American citizens.
– The curb on immigration was the US President’s long-term policy goal, which has been made possible due to the ongoing health and economic crisis caused by COVID-19 pandemic.
3. Civil Services Day: 21st April
– The National Civil Services Day is observed every year on April 21. The civil service system is the backbone of the administrative machinery of the country.
– The civil servants are responsible for implementing all the government policies and schemes successfully up to the root level.
– 21st April was chosen to be celebrated as Civil Service Day to commemorate the day when the first Home Minister of Independent India, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel addressed the probationers of Administrative Services Officers in 1947 at Metcalf House, Delhi. In his address, he called Civil Servants, the ‘steel frame of India’.
4. US President appoints Indian-American to country’s top science board
– US President Donald Trump appointed Indian-American Sudarsanam Babu to the country’s top science board.
Babu, who is from the prestigious Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), has been appointed as a member of the National Science Board for a six-year term.
– Babu would be the third Indian American in this prestigious board.
– The other two being Sethuraman Panchanathan from Arizona State University and Suresh V Garimella from University of Vermont.