Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
23rd April Current Affairs
1. World Earth Day: 22nd April
World Earth Day is observed every year on 22nd April. The day is celebrated worldwide to demonstrate support for environmental protection.
World Earth Day 2020 will mark the 50th Anniversary of the day since it started being observed in 1970.
The theme of Earth Day 2020 is: ‘Climate Action’.
The day was proposed at the UNESCO conference in 1969 and the first Earth Day celebrations took place in 1970.
2. Epidemic Act amended: Jail term up to 7 years for any violence against healthcare workers
– The Union Cabinet approved an ordinance proposing new amendments to the Epidemic Diseases Act, 1987 on April 22, 2020 to ensure the safety of health workers and end violence against them amid several reports of attacks on medics.
– The new amendments include imprisonment ranging from 6 months to 7 years for those found guilty of attacking healthcare workers. The information was shared by Union Minister Prakash Javadekar while briefing the media after the cabinet meeting.
– The Minister stated that the government will not tolerate any incident of violence or harassment against healthcare workers. He stated that the medics who are trying to save the people and the nation from the coronavirus epidemic are unfortunately facing attacks.
3. Remittances likely to plunge 20% amid Covid-19 pandemic: World Bank
– The World Bank said the remittances are expected to plunge by about 20 percent globally this year due to Covid-19 pandemic.
– In its report, the Bank said the biggest decline in recent history as closures cause a global recession and job losses that prevent workers from sending money to their families back home.
– It said developing countries are losing a key source of revenue as the coronavirus pandemic causes worldwide shutdowns, sharply reducing payments from workers living abroad.
– The report mentioned that total remittances which comprise up to one-third of the economies of some poor countries, are expected to fall to 445 billion dollar from 554 billion dollar in 2019.
The World Bank is an international financial institution that provides loans and grants to the governments of poorer countries for the purpose of pursuing capital projects. It comprises two institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, and the International Development Association.
Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
Membership: 189 countries (IBRD); 173 countries (IDA)
4. Manipur becomes second state after Goa to be Corona free
Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh has declared the state now has no COVID-19 active case as the second coronavirus patient was discharged from hospital after he tested negative for the deadly virus.
Though the State has no COVID-19 active case now but people should keep vigil all the time.
Manipur had two confirmed COVID-19 cases but both the patients, a 23-year-old woman and a 65-year-old man have recovered and have been discharged from hospital.
Goa was declared a Corona Free State a few days back.
Manipur Capital: Imphal; Governor: Najma Heptulla; Chief Minister: N. Biren Singh
5. Agriculture Minister participates in G-20 meet over Covid-19 impact on food safety
– Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar participated in a virtual meeting of G-20 Agriculture Ministers to address the issue of Covid-19 impacts on food security, safety and nutrition.
– The G-20 Agriculture Ministers virtual meeting was organized through video conferencing by the Saudi Presidency to deliberate on the ways and means of ensuring continuity of the food supply value chain including livelihood of farmers.
– The G-20 nations resolved to have international cooperation in the backdrop of the Covid-19 pandemic, to avoid food wastage and losses, and maintain the continuity of the food supply value chain across borders.
The G20 is an international forum for the governments and central bank governors from 19 countries and the European Union.
6. Facebook buys 9.99% stake in Reliance Jio platform
– Facebook has announced the investment of Rs. 43,474 crores in Reliance Jio for 9.99 percent stake on April 22. It is the largest Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in India’s tech sector.
– The announcement of signing a binding agreement for an investment of Rs. 43,474 crore was made by Jio Platform Ltd, Reliance Industries Ltd., and Facebook.
– As per a statement by Reliance Industries Ltd., the investment by Facebook translates into 9.99% of the equity stake in Jio on a fully diluted basis. The declared investment now values Jio Platforms at Rs. 4.62 lakh crore pre-money enterprise value.
Facebook, Inc. is an American social media and technology company based in Menlo Park, California. It was founded by Mark Zuckerberg, along with fellow Harvard College students