Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Today GK Updates & Daily Current Affairs – 28 Feb 2020
1. India to host its first Artificial Intelligence summit: RAISE 2020
- The Union Government will organize India’s the first-of-its-kind two-day Artificial Intelligence summit- “RAISE 2020: Responsible AI for Social Empowerment 2020” between April 11-12, 2020 in New Delhi to enable social empowerment, inclusion and transformation in the world.
- The RAISE 2020 summit aims to outline India’s vision for using the power of AI responsibly to transform the social landscape for a better future.
- The summit will serve as a common platform for people across the world to exchange ideas on how to use AI for social empowerment, inclusion and transformation in key areas and sectors such as agriculture, healthcare, education and smart mobility.
- The RAISE 2020 summit will begin with a startup challenge called ‘Pitchfest’, which will be followed by the two-day summit that will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
TODAY GK UPDATES for SSC CHSL Online Classes:
The event will be organized by the union government in coordination with the Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
2. Hurun Global Rich List 2020
- The ninth edition of ‘Hurun Global Rich List 2020’ recently revealed that Jeff Bezos of Amazon.com is the richest man in the world with net worth of USD 140 billion.
- Bernard Arnault of LMVH secured second place in the list with a net worth of USD 107 billion and Bill Gates of Microsoft with a net worth of USD 106 billion got third place.
- According to the report, Reliance Group’s head Mukesh Ambani is the richest person in India and ninth richest in the world with USD 67 billion net worth being only Indian who secured a position among top-10 richest people in the world.
- SP Hinduja family with a net worth of USD 27 billion is in second place in India while Gautam Adani with a net worth of USD 17 billion is in third place.
- According to the report, 480 billionaires have become billionaires in the world in 2019. The report highlights that more than one person became a billionaire every day in 2019.
3. National Science Day 2020
- The National Science Day is celebrated every year on February 28 in the country to celebrate the discovery of the ‘Raman Effect’ by India’s great scientist CV Raman.
- The objective of the day is to inspire students to new experiments, attract them to science, and make them aware of science and scientific achievements.
- The theme for National Science Day 2020 is “Women in Science”, which aims to appreciate the contribution of women in the field of science.
- Dr. CV Raman officially declared on February 28, 1928, that he has invented the ‘Raman Effect For which was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1930 for this important discovery.
TODAY GK UPDATES for IBPS clerk online classes:
First National Science Day was celebrated on February 28, 1987.
Dr. CV Raman was born on November 07, 1888. The Government of India honoured him with the highest civilian award, the Bharat Ratna in 1954.
4. RBI lifts ban, allows Bandhan Bank to open branches
- The Reserve Bank of India allowed Bandhan Bank to open branches without its prior approval, lifting the ban imposed on the lender for failing to reduce promoter ownership below the mandated 40%.
- Opening of branches will be subject to condition that 25% of newly opened banking outlets in a financial year shall be in unbanked locations
- Bandhan Bank’s current promoter holding at 61% is still above the regulatory ceiling.
- Bandhan Financial Holdings Ltd is the holding company and promoter of the Bandhan Bank. Its holding was diluted to 61% from 82% after the acquisition of Gruh Finance last year.
- RBI first came down heavily on Bandhan Bank on September 28, 2018, including a freeze on its founder-cum managing director Chandra Shekhar Ghosh’s salary at the September 2018 level.
STATIC GK For SSC Online Classes:
BANDHAN BANK – Founded: 23 August 2015; Headquarters: Kolkata, West Bengal, India.
5. Jawed Ashraf appointed India’s next envoy to France
- Diplomat Jawed Ashraf has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to France.
- Ashraf, a 1991-batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer, is currently serving as Indian High Commissioner to Singapore and is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
- Ashraf served as Joint Secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office under former Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh and then Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Ashraf succeeds Vinay Mohan Kwatra who has been appointed India’s Ambassador to Nepal.
STATIC GK For SSC CGL Online Classes:
FRANCE – Capital: Paris; President:Emmanuel Macron; Prime Minister:Edouard Philippe; Currency: Euro (€),CFP franc.
6. Maria Sharapova, 5-time Grand Slam winner, says Goodbye to Tennis
- Five-time Grand Slam winner Russian player and one of the world’s most recognizable sports women Maria Sharapova announced her retirement from tennis as she has suffered several injuries in the last few years that forced her to take this decision.
- Maria Sharapova won her first Wimbledon at the age of 17 in 2004. She was the third-youngest player to do so.
- She became the number one player in the world in 2005 and won the US Open the following year.
- After that, she won the French Open title in 2012 and became the 10th female player to complete a career Grand Slam.
- She also won the Olympic silver medal. She won the French Open trophy in 2014 despite an injury.