Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Today GK Updates : 2nd May Daily Current Affairs
1. Govt extends nationwide lockdown for 2 More Weeks, to be applicable from 4th to 17th May
– The Centre extends the ongoing nationwide lockdown by two weeks from 4th of this month. The Ministry of Home Affairs issued an order to this effect under the Disaster Management Act, 2005, to extend the lockdown further.
– Home Ministry said the decision has been taken after a comprehensive review of the COVID-19 situation.
– The MHA has issued new guidelines to regulate different activities during this period based on the demarcation of different districts into red, orange and green zones.
2. Output of eight core infrastructure industries shrank by 6.5 % in March
– The output of eight core infrastructure industries shrank by 6.5 percent in March due to fall in production of crude oil, natural gas, refinery products, fertiliser, steel, cement and electricity amid the coronavirus lockdown. The eight core sectors had expanded by 5.8 per cent in March 2019.
– Production of crude oil dropped 5.5 percent; production of natural gas tanked 15.2 percent; growth of refinery products slipped 0.5 percent; fertiliser production dropped 11.9 percent, steel production declined 13 percent, cement production slumped 24.7 percent and electricity generation plunged 7.2 percent. Coal production fell 4.1 percent in March, from 9.1 per cent in March 2019.
– During the April-March 2019-20 period, core industries recorded 0.6 percent growth, against 4.4 percent in 2018-19.
3. India ranked 53rd in budget transparency, accountability
– India has been placed at 53rd position among 117 nations in terms of budget transparency and accountability, according to the Open Budget Survey.
– The survey, which was conducted by International Budget Partnership (IBP), has provided India’s Union Budget process a transparency score of 49 out of 100, which is higher than the global average of 45. New Zealand tops the chart with a score of 87.
– The survey, covering 117 countries, rates the level of budget transparency across countries on a scale of 0-100, based on several normative, internationally comparable indicators.
4. APEC economy to be reduced by 2.7 per cent in 2020
– The Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) region has been expected to post an economic decline by 2.7 percent in 2020 because of the Coronavirus pandemic.
– As per the APEC Secretariat, this will be the most significant fall since the zero -growth rate logged in 2009 because of the financial crisis.
– The region with 21 member countries had recorded an economic growth rate of 3.6 percent. The countries are expected to see this fall due to the ongoing global health crisis that has dangerously impacted the world economy.
5. Ramayan becomes highest viewed entertainment program globally
– The popular television show ‘Ramayan’ based on Valmiki’s Epic Ramayana has become the highest viewed entertainment program globally.
– It registered record breaking viewership and created a world record when 77 million people watched the show in a single day. The record was created on the 16th of April at 9 p.m. Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan aired on Doordarshan for the first time between 1987 and 1988.
– Prasar Bharti CEO Shashi Shekhar announced last month that his team was working out the logistics of telecasting the Ramayana after the nationwide lockdown was announced.
6. Legendary footballer Chuni Goswami passes away
– Legendary Footballer Chuni Goswami died in Kolkata on Thursday afternoon after prolonged illness. He was 82. Chuni Goswami was the captain of gold medal winning Indian football team of Jakarta Asiad held in 1962.
– He was awarded Arjuna, Padmashri and several others prestigious awards for his outstanding contributions in the field of Sports.
– The West Bengal Government conferred him the highest civilian award Banga Bhushan in 2013. Chuni Goswami was captain of Bengal Ranji Cricket team. He was also Sheriff of Kolkata.