Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Daily Current Affairs 7th March – Today Gk Updates
1. Bimal Julka becomes Chief Information Commissioner of India
- Information Commissioner Bimal Julka was appointed as the Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) on 6th President Ram Nath Kovind administered the oath of office to Bimal Julka at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Julka has also previously served as the Union Information and Broadcasting Secretary.
- The transparency watchdog has been functioning without a chief after Sudhir Bhargava retired on January 11 and is at a reduced strength of six information commissioners, against the sanctioned strength of 11 (including the CIC).
GKToday For SSC Exams
CIC can order an investigation of any rational case. It can receive a complaint from a person and get that complaint investigated. It can scrutinize the records of any government office under it.
2. Cabinet clears merger of 10 PSBs into 4 banks effective April 1
- The Cabinet approved the amalgamation of the 10 public sector banks (PSB) into 4 PSBs that was announced on August 30, 2019. The merger will come into effect from April 1, 2020.
- According to the government, the merger of the 10 banks will lead to the creation of stronger establishments that will be able to meet the challenge of a $ 5 trillion economy.
- The Cabinet’s approval will lead to the merger of –
- Oriental Bank of Commerce and United Bank of India into Punjab National Bank;
- Andhra Bank and Corporation Bank into Union Bank of India;
- Syndicate Bank into Canara Bank; and
- Allahabad Bank into Indian Bank
Daily Current Affairs for SBI CLERK Exams
Nirmala Sitharaman is the current Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs of India. Forbes Magazine has named her as the 34th among the 100 most powerful women in the world in 2019.
3. RBI deputy governor NS Vishwanathan quits ahead of retirement
- Reserve Bank of India deputy governor NS Vishwanathan has resigned due to health reasons three months ahead of his retirement in June. Vishwanathan would end his nearly four-decade career by March 31 when the central bank would relieve him of his duties.
- As a deputy governor, he was looking after key departments such as banking regulation, co-operative banking, non-banking regulation, deposit insurance, financial stability and inspection.
- Vishwanathan has done his Masters in Economics from Bangalore University and had been the RBI’s face for the past few years at the Bank for International Settlements (BIS), the Basel-based central banks’ central bank.
GKToday for SBI PO Exams
RBI Headquarters: Mumbai; Founded: 1st April 1935
Governor: Shaktikanta Das
4. Sebi launches ‘SCORES’ mobile app for investors to lodge grievances
- Markets regulator Sebi has launched a mobile application for convenience of investors to lodge grievances in Sebi Complaints Redress System (SCORES). The mobile app will encourage investors to lodge their complaints on SCORES rather than sending letters to Sebi in physical mode.
- “SCORES’ mobile app will make it easier for investors to lodge their grievances with Sebi, as they can now access SCORES at their convenience of a smartphone.
- According to Sebi norms, entities against whom complaints are lodged need to file an action taken report with the regulator within 30 days of receipt of complaint.
Current Affairs 2020 for SBI CLERK Exams
The Securities and Exchange Board of India is the regulator for the securities market in India owned by the Government of India. It was established in 1988 and given Statutory Powers on 30 January 1992 through the SEBI Act, 1992.
Headquarters: Mumbai; Chairperson: Ajay Tyagi
5. Google announces its plans to open Delhi Cloud Region
- Google announced its plans to open a Delhi Cloud Region and will be the second cloud region in India since it launched one in Mumbai three years ago in 2017. Projected to be launched in 2021, the Delhi cloud region will have three zones to protect against service disruptions.
- The new cloud region will expand Google’s existing network which stands at 8 regions in the Asia Pacific and 22 regions globally.
- Google cloud regions bring Google Cloud Platform services to global organisations in industries like media and entertainment, retail and manufacturing.
Daily Current Affairs for SBI PO Exams
Google founders: Larry Page, Sergey Brin
CEO: Sundar Pichai; Parent organization: Alphabet Inc.
6. Prashant Kumar takes charge as Yes Bank administrator
- Yes Bank announced that Prashant Kumar, former deputy managing director and CFO of State Bank of India, has taken charge as its administrator.
- The private sector lender has been placed under a moratorium, with the RBI capping deposit withdrawals at Rs 50,000 per account for a month and superseding its board.
- Kumar taking charge as the Yes Bank administrator is in line with notifications issued by the Department of Financial Services and the RBI.
GKToday For SSC CGL Exams
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is India’s central bank, which controls the issue and supply of the Indian rupee and acts as the regulator of entire Banking system in India. RBI also plays an important part in the Development Strategy of the Government of India.
Headquarters: Mumbai; Founded: 1st April 1935
Governor: Shaktikanta Das