Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Today GK Updates : 7th May Daily Current Affairs
1. Unemployment rate in India reaches 27.11% amid COVID-19 pandemic: CMIE
– Centre for Monitoring India Economy (CMIE) has released data that reports the unemployment rate in India has reached 27.11% for the week ending on May 3 from the level of 6.74% in the week that ended on March 15, 2020.
– It also stated that the unemployment rate was seen highest in the urban areas, constituting most of the red zones due to the highest number of COVID-19 cases.
– Since the government has suspended all the economic activities to combat the spread of COVID-19, the unemployment rate in India has spiked tremendously.
2. Centre plans to implement new agro MSME policy
– Union minister Nitin Gadkari announced that the central government has been working on an agro MSME (Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprise) policy that will mainly focus on the entrepreneurship development in the tribal, rural, forest and agricultural areas.
– The policy will encourage to manufacture products using the local raw materials. The announcement was made by the Union Minister for MSME, Road Transport and Highways during the video conference meetings held with SME (Small and Medium Enterprises) Export Promotional Council, SME Chamber of India and Representatives of beauty and wellness industry.
– The meeting with various sectors was organized to discuss the impact of Coronavirus pandemic on the working of MSME’s in the country.
3. Indian Navy launches Operation Samudra Setu to repatriate Indian citizens
– Indian Navy has launched Operation Samudra Setu as a part of a national effort to repatriate Indian citizens from overseas.
– Indian Naval Ships Jalashwa and Magar are presently enroute to Malè in Maldives to commence evacuation operations as part of Phase-1.
– A total of one thousand persons are planned to be evacuated during the first trip, catering for COVID- related social distancing norms vis-a-vis the carrying capacity and medical facilities available onboard. The ships have been suitably provisioned for the evacuation operation.
4. Three photojournalists from J&K win the Pulitzer Prize 2020
Three photojournalists from J&K have won Pulitzer Prize 2020 in feature photography. Yasin Dar, Mukhtar Khan, and Channi Anand who won the top honours have been working with Associated Press (AP). The awards were announced virtually on May 5.
Their coverage in the J&K region during government-imposed restrictions as a move to end Jammu & Kashmir’s special status was recognized through this prestigious award.
Following the norms of social distancing and worldwide lockdown, the Board administrator announced the winners through a live stream on YouTube instead of a ceremony at New York’s Columbia University.
Static GK For Online SSC Classes :
The Pulitzer Prize is an award for achievements in newspaper, magazine and online journalism, literature, and musical composition in the United States. It was established in 1917 by provisions in the will of Joseph Pulitzer, who had made his fortune as a newspaper publisher, and is administered by Columbia University.
5. Govt extends time limit for annual GST returns for financial year 2018-19 till 30 Sept
– Government has announced further relaxations for filing of annual returns for Goods and Services Tax (GST) and movement of goods in the country.
– The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) has extended the time limit for furnishing of the annual return and GST audit for the financial year 2018-2019, till 30 September, 2020. Government has also given an extension till 31st May for all the e-way bills generated on or before the March 24th, whose validity were to expire between March 20th and April 15th.
– This relaxation will allow seamless movement of goods and supplies through road transport carriers ensuring availability of supplies.
Online Coaching for SSC Current affairs
Goods and Services Tax is an indirect tax used in India on the supply of goods and services.
6. Over 5 million people internally displaced in India in 2019: UN report
– More than five million people were internally displaced in India due to natural disasters, conflict and violence in 2019.
– India constituted the highest number of new internal displacements in the world during the period followed by the Philippines, Bangladesh and China.
– The ‘Lost at Home’ report, published by the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF), said that almost 33 million new displacements were recorded in 2019, around 25 million were due to natural disasters and 8.5 million as consequence of conflict and violence.
– In India, the total number of new internal displacements in 2019 stood at 5,037,000 – including 5,018,000 due to natural disasters.
Static GK For Banking Online Classes :
The United Nations is an intergovernmental organization that aims to maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations, achieve international cooperation, and be a center for harmonizing the actions of nations.
Headquarters: New York, United States