Get Coaching Classes for Banking & SSC Exams.
Today GK Updates – 18th Feb Current Affairs
1. Supreme Court orders to grant permanent commission to women officers in Army
- The Supreme Court has given a big verdict on the permanent commission of women in the Indian Army. The apex court rejected the Central Government’s opposition to the permanent commission of women.
- Only male army officers who have served in the Short Service Commission (SSC) for 14 years are given the option of permanent commission. But now, the Supreme Court has made it clear that women officers will also get the same opportunity in the Indian Army. The bench of Justice DY Chandrachud and Justice Ajay Rastogi said that the appointment of women officers in the army is an evolutionary process.
2. Haryana Govt to give Rs. 6 Cr to Olympics Gold Medal Winners
- Haryana Government announced that the state government will give Rs. 6 crores prize money to players that bag gold medals at the Olympic Games. Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced Rs. 6 crores prize money for those winning Gold Medal at Olympics.
- Apart from that, the Haryana government will give Rs. 3 crore to those winning Gold Medal at Asian Games. Similarly, the state government will give Rs 1.5 crore to those winning Gold Medal at Commonwealth Games.
- Haryana Government will also provide pension to the national award winners like Arjuna Award, Dhyanchand, and Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Awards.
3. 65th Amazon Filmfare Awards 2020
- The 65th Amazon Filmfare Awards 2020 were held on February 15 in ‘Awesome’ Assam in Guwahati. This was the first edition of the award show which was held outside Mumbai.
- Best Film- ‘Gully Boy’
- Best Director- Zoya Akhtar for ‘Gully Boy’
- Best Film (Critics)- ‘Article 15’ (Anubhav Sinha) and ‘Sonchiriya’ (Abhishek Chaubey)
- Best Actor In A Leading Role (Male)- Ranveer Singh for ‘Gully Boy’
- Best Actor (Critics)- Ayushmann Khurrana for ‘Article 15’
- Best Actor In A Leading Role (Female)- Alia Bhatt for ‘Gully Boy’
4. PM Modi flags off Kashi – Mahakal Express and other projects worth 1250 cr in Varanasi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off IRCTC’s third private train, the Kashi Mahakal Express, which will connect places related to three jyotirlingas – Omkareshwar near Indore, Mahakaleshwar in Ujjain, and Kashi Vishwanath in Varanasi. KashiMahakal Express will provide better facilities to tourists visiting major religious places of UP and Madhya Pradesh.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated projects worth Rs 1,200 crore in his parliamentary constituency Varanasi. PM Modi unveiled a 63-feet-tall statue of Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay at Chandauli. Apart from this, he laid the foundation stone for 14 projects including Smart City, Heritage Development and half a dozen roads.
5. Hyderabad hosts 3-day ‘BioAsia 2020’
- Hyderabad is hosting the three-day BioAsia 2020, Asia’s largest biotechnology and life sciences forum.
- The event themed ‘Today for Tomorrow’ will witness as many as 2,000 delegates from 37 countries.
- Switzerland will be the partner country at the event this year.
- An eminent 40-member team consisting of industries, academia and start-ups from Switzerland will participate in the event.
- As many as 800 companies are set to take part in BioAisa 2020.