Get Updated Test Series on Takshila Learning
Weekly 11th to 27th of Nov 2019 : Weekly Gk Updates
- The 5th edition of Global Exhibition on Services (GES 2019) will be held at Bengaluru, Karnataka, to engage industry and governments across the world and to promote greater exchange of trade in services between India and the rest of the
- Union Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas and Steel Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurated the India Pavilion at the Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference (ADIPEC).
- The Government of India has given approval for setting up four medical device parks in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Tamil Nadu and Kerala with a view to support Make in India initiative and provide world-class products at an affordable price for
- The Supreme Court five-judge bench led by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi ruled that the office of Chief Justice comes under the transparency law, the Right to Information (RTI) Act.
- Union Minister for Science and Technology Harsh Vardhan inaugurated an exhibition of Technologies in Food Processing developed by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research organized in New
- Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change is undertaking a mass cleanliness-cum- awareness drive in 50 identified beaches under the programme called ‘Swachh- Nirmal Tat Abhiyaan’.
- 39th India International Trade Fair 2019 begins in New Delhi with the theme of ‘Ease of Doing Business’. This year the status of ‘Partner Country’ has been accorded to ‘The Islamic Republic of Afghanistan’ and ‘The Republic of Korea’ will be the ‘Focus Country’. Bihar and Jharkhand will be the focus states in this edition of the
- The Khadi Pavilion has been inaugurated at the India International Trade Fair (IITF) in New Delhi. The Pavilion entrance has been themed upon Sabarmati Ashram, with melodious Shehnai celebrating the ‘spirit of Indianness’.
- India will contribute USD 13.5 million for various operational activities of development across the UN agencies for the year
- Mauritius’s incumbent Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth was sworn in for a five-year term after elections in which his coalition consolidated its grip on
- Iran has discovered a new oilfield with 53 billion barrels of crude oil in Khuzestan province, home to Iran’s Khuzestan’s crucial oil
States in the News
- Gujarat Government has given approval to the world’s first CNG terminal at Bhavnagar port, Gujarat. Joint venture of United Kingdom-based Foresight Group and Mumbai-based Padmanabh Mafatlal Group will invest 1,900 crore in the
- The Ministry of Environment has granted clearance to the Indian Oil Corporation Ltd to set up a ₹ 766- crore 2G ethanol plant in Haryana’s Panipat
- The Assam State Commission for Protection of Child Rights is going to launch a mobile app Sishu Suraksha on the occasion of Children’s Day to empower citizens to take moral responsibility for protecting future generations.
- The festival ‘Bali Yatra’ which is organised every year in memory of the rich maritime history of the state, was inaugurated in Cuttack, Odisha at the bank of Mahanadi
- Uttar Pradesh government has launched a dedicated web portal and a mobile application, e-Ganna App, for sugarcane farmers of the state which will ensure transparency in the process of getting slips, and facilitate sugarcane supply by farmers to mills and check
- Andhra Pradesh government has launched the ‘Nadu-Nedu’ programme which aims to introduce English medium from classes 1 to 6 in state-run schools. It will cover all schools in three years’ time with a budget of Rs 12,000.
- Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry has signed a MoU with Singapore Fintech Association (SFA) as part of the growing Singapore- India fintech ecosystems during the 4th edition of Singapore Fintech
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approves the merger of the BNP Paribas (BNPP) Mutual Fund and the Baroda (BOB) Mutual Fund, under Section 31(1) of the Competition Act,
- Council of Scientific & Industrial Research(CSIR)– Institute of Microbial Technology (IMTECH), Chandigarh signed a MoU with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay to promote collaborative research.
- The Karnataka Gramin Bank (KGB) has launched ‘mobile ATMs’ in Kalaburagi, among several other districts in the
- As per the report titled “Furthering Digital Payments” released by the Reserve Bank of India, banks can no longer charge savings bank account holders for online transactions in the NEFT system from January
- The economic research team from the State Bank of India (SBI) has revised India’s Gross Domestic Product(GDP) to 5% from its earlier estimate of 6.1% for the Fiscal Year 2020 in their report titled “EcoWrap”.
- Moody’s Investors Service has slashed India’s economic growth forecast to 6% for the fiscal year 2019.
- The Ministry of external affairs (MEA) announced Anjani Kumar was the next ambassador of India to the Republic of Mali.
- Justice Sanjay Karol was sworn in as the Chief Justice of Patna High Court.
- Justice Amreshwar Pratap Sahi was sworn-in as
Chief Justice of the Madras High Court.
- All India Football Federation has announced the appointment of Thomas Dennerby (Sweden) as the Indian head coach of the Women’s U-17 football team. The FIFA U-17 women’s football World Cup 2020 will be hosted by
- Mohammad Imran has been appointed as the new High Commissioner of Bangladesh to India. He will succeed Syed Muazzem
- British-Dutch consumer goods company Unilever has named non-executive director Nils Andersen as its new chairman. He will replace Marijn
- India Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC) has appointed G Kamala Vardhana Rao as the new Chairman and Managing Director.
- Prakash Javadekar took charge as the Union Minister of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises after the resignation of Shiv Sena leader Arvind Sawant from the Union
- Justice Muhammad Raffiq took oath as Chief Justice of Meghalaya High Court. He succeeds Ajay Kumar Mittal who is now the Chief Justice of Madhya Pradesh High
- Arsene Wenger has been named FIFA’s Chief of global football
- Senior IAS officer Nilam Sawhney has become the first woman Chief Secretary of Andhra Pradesh.
- The defence ministry is organising Def-Connect in New Delhi to showcase the accomplishments of the Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX)
- The India-U.S. tri-services amphibious exercise “Tiger Triumph” has begun in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- Cdr. Karabi Gogoi has become the first woman officer from the Indian Navy to be posted as the Assistant Naval Attache at the Indian embassy in Moscow.
Schemes and Committees
- The Jammu and Kashmir government has set up a 10-member committee to declare Srinagar’s famous Dal Lake and its surrounding areas as an eco-sensitive zone (ESZ), following concerns over its shrinking size. The capacity of the lake has shrunk to 40%.
- National Initiative for School Heads’ and Teachers’ Holistic Advancement (NISHTHA) has been launched in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
Books and Authors
- Chief Justice of India Justice Ranjan Gogoi released the Assamese version of the book ‘Courts of India: Past to Present’ in Guwahati,
Awards and Recognitions
- The Tata Literature Live! Lifetime Achievement Award for 2019 was conferred on writer, translator and film critic Shanta Gokhale. Poet K Satchidanandan was named the Tata Literature Live! Poet Laureate for
- Wildlife biologist Ullas Karanth, Director, Centre for Wildlife Studies, Bengaluru, was awarded the George Schaller Lifetime Award in Wildlife Conservation Science for his contribution to the field of conservation.
- Ravi Prakash, an Indian PhD scholar has won the BRICS-Young Innovator Prize for inventing an affordable indigenous milk chilling unit for smaller and marginal rural dairy farmers. The theme for 4th BRICS-YSF was “Cybersecurity and Bio-economy”
- Hollywood veteran and double Oscar winner Robert De Niro will receive the SAG-AFTRA’s highest tribute: the SAG Life Achievement Award for career achievement and humanitarian accomplishment, at the 26th edition of the ceremony
- The Tobacco Board of India, Guntur, has been awarded the Golden Leaf Award at Tab Expo 2019 event in Amsterdam, It has been awarded for its efforts to initiate various sustainability (green) initiatives in Flue-Cured Virginia (FCV) tobacco cultivation in India.
- The Critically acclaimed movie “Bhonsle” directed by Devashish Makhija has won awards in the ‘Best Screenplay’ and ‘Best Director’ categories at the Asian Film Festival Barcelona.
Ranks and Reports
- Bangladesh has topped the business bribery risk in South Asia according to the Trace Bribery Matrix.
- Sanskrit Bharati Vishwa Sammelan, a mega event for discussing ideas, theories and research findings in the ancient Sanskrit language, begins in New Delhi.
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India, chaired the inaugural conclave on “National Capital Region-2041” organized by the National Capital Region Planning Board in The theme of the conclave was “Planning for Tomorrow’s Greatest Capital Region”.
- Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria will inaugurate the 58th Indian Society of Aerospace Medicine Annual Conference. The theme for this year’s conference is ‘Changing Paradigms in Aerospace Healthcare’.
- India will host the 19th council of heads of government of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation 2020. The latest Summit of heads of government was held in Tashkent in November 2019.
- The Union Minister of State (I/C) Development of North Eastern Region, has addressed the India- ASEAN Business Summit 2019 in New Delhi on the theme: “Today, Tomorrow, Together”.
- National Statistical Commission inaugurated the 27th Conference of Central and State Statistical Organizations (COCSSO) organized by Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) at Kolkata, West Bengal. The theme was “Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)”.
- Ministry of AYUSH will organize the International Conference on Yoga at Mysuru, Karnataka with the theme ‘Yoga for Heart Care’.
- Regional Conference on the theme “Replication of Good Governance Practices in Union Territories of J&K and Ladakh” begins in Jammu.
- India pacer Deepak Chahar has became the first Indian bowler to take a hat-trick in the Twenty20 Internationals during the match against Bangladesh and also produced the best-ever figures in the Twenty20 Internationals e. 6 wickets for 7 runs in 3.2 overs.
- Saurabh Chaudhary claimed the silver medal in men’s 10m air pistol event to continue India’s surge at the 14th Asian Championship in Doha, Qatar.
- Javelin thrower Sundar Singh Gurjar has won India’s second gold and defending his World Para Athletics Championships title in the men’s F46 javelin throw event in Dubai.
- FIFA has banned 3 South American football officials-Former Peru Football Federation Manuel Burga and Argentinian officials Eduardo Deluca and Jose Luis Meiszner, for a lifetime for connection with a 2015 corruption scandal in
- The 2019 World Kabaddi Cup will take place from December 1 to 9 and will be organised by the Punjab government in Punjab.
Science and Technology
- NASA’s “Neutron Star Interior Composition Explorer” telescope on the International Space Station has detected a massive thermonuclear explosion coming from outer space, caused by a massive thermonuclear flash on the surface of a pulsar.
- NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) has launched its 1st all-electric experimental aircraft named the X-57 “Maxwell” to be operational by late 2020.
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has renamed a distant space rock Ultima Thule, to Arrokoth or “sky”. Arrokoth is a name of the Native American Powhatan language following a significant backlash over the old name’s Nazi connotations.
- World Science Day for Peace and Development is celebrated every year on 10 November. The theme for 2019 is “Open science, leaving no one behind”.
- The National Education Day is celebrated on 11 November on the birth anniversary of Independent India’s first Education Minister, freedom fighter, scholar and eminent educationist Maulana Abul Kalam Azad who was a freedom fighter, scholar and the first Education Minister of independent
|⚫ Public Service Broadcasting Day is celebrated on 12 November every year to commemorate the first and last visit of the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi to the studio of All India Radio, Delhi in 1947.
⚫ November 13 is celebrated as the World Kindness Day to highlight good deeds in the community focusing on the positive power and the common thread of kindness which binds us. The theme of 2019 is empathy, encouraging people across the globe to better understand “the pains of others” and touch their lives “positively”.
⚫ World Pneumonia Day is marked every year on November 12. The year 2019 marked the 10th anniversary of World Pneumonia Day to fight against pneumonia. The theme for the year 2019 is “Healthy lungs for all”.
⚫ The World Diabetes Day (WDD) was observed globally on 14 November with the theme “Family and Diabetes”. The day is marked every year on 14 November, the birthday of Sir Frederick Banting, who co-discovered insulin along with Charles Best in 1922.
⚫ On 14th November, Children’s Day is celebrated every year to mark the birth anniversary of our first Prime Minister Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru.
⚫ India celebrates “National Press Day” on 16th November every year.
⚫ The United Nations observes “International Day for Tolerance” on 16th November every year.
⚫ Padma Shri-awardee Dhrupad vocalist Ramakant Gundecha passed away.
⚫ Former chief election commissioner TN Seshan passed away.
⚫ Renowned mathematician Vashishtha Narayan Singh passed away. He was born in 1942 in Basantpur village of the Bhojpur district in Bihar.
|⚫ Dhruv Prajapati, a research scholar from the Gujarat Ecological Education & Research Foundation, has discovered two new spider species in Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Gujarat. Their names are “Marengo Sachin Tendulkar” named after Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar & “Indomarengo chavarapater” named after Saint Kuriakose Elias Chavara.
⚫ Suranga Bawadi in Bijapur, Karnataka was selected as the World Monument Watch List for 2020, by the New York-based non-governmental organisation. It was selected under the category of “Ancient Water System of the Deccan Plateau” along with 24 monuments across the world.
⚫ Nita Ambani has become the first Indian to be named an honorary trustee of “The Metropolitan Museum of Art”.
⚫ The Information and Broadcasting Ministry launched the official anthem and radio jingle for the golden jubilee edition of International Film Festival of India (IFFI), scheduled to take place in Goa.
⚫ Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro will be the chief guest at India’s Republic Day 2020 celebrations.
⚫ The new signal fish “Pteropsaron Indicum” was found in Lakshadweep sea off Kerala coast, which is the home for unusual species like fish with a unique color.
⚫ Union Home Minister Amit Shah will inaugurate the National Tribal Festival “Aadi Mahotsav” with the theme “Spirit of Tribal Culture, Craft, Cuisine and Commerce” in New Delhi..
⚫ Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change: Prakash Javadekar.
⚫ RBI 25th Governor: Shaktikant Das, Headquarters: Mumbai, Founded: 1 April 1935, Kolkata.
⚫ Union Defence minister: Rajnath Singh.
⚫ Minister of Commerce and Industry: Piyush Goyal.
⚫ President of All India Football Federation: Praful Patel; Founded: 23 June 1937.
⚫ Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir: Girish Chandra Murmu.
⚫ Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs: Hardeep Singh Puri.
⚫ NASA Administrator: Jim Bridenstine; Established: 29 July 1958.
⚫ Formation of Wildlife Conservation Society: April 26, 1895; Headquarters: New York, United States.
- Gujarat CM: Vijay Rupani; Governor: Acharya Dev Vrat; Capital:
- SCO Secretary-General: Vladimir
- Chairman of SBI: Rajnish Kumar; Formed: 1 July 1955.
- FICCI of Founded: 1927; Headquarters; New
- Bangladesh Capital: Dhaka; Currency: Taka; PM: Sheikh
- Assam Capital: Dispur; CM: Sarbananda Sonowal; Governor: Jagdish
- Iran Capital: Tehran; Currency: Rial; President: Hassan
- Mauritius Capital: Port Louis; Currency; Mauritian rupee.
- Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change: Prakash
- Director-General of CSIR: Shekhar C.
- Chairman of the Khadi and Village Industries Commission: Vinai Kumar
- President of FIFA: Gianni Infantino; Founded: 21 May 1904.
- Capital of Brazil: Brasilia; Currency: Brazilian
- Punjab CM: Amarinder Singh; Governor: VP Singh Badnore.
- Chairman of CCI: Ashok Kumar Gupta; Headquarters of CCI: New